NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to wire up a second battery to charge off of my OB for a bow mount trolling motor. Also want to be able to isolate the trolling motor battery with a switch when I stop to protect the starting battery. Does anyone have a diagram I could look at and can this be done very inexpensive? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Buy a Perko switch made for that purpose (or similar switch of another brand). It will have 4 settings, 1/2/all/none. It also includes a schematic of how to hook it up (very easy actually). Touse as you described, put the switch in the "all" position when running the engine. Then switch it to #2 position when trolling (assuming you wire your starting battery to the #1 terminal of the switch). Back to all or #1 to start the engine.

But be aware that most outboards put out very little excess current for charging (must less than a car), so you will still need to charge your trolling battery in between trips if you use it much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.