NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys . I'm interested in learning more about navigation and nautical charts since I my gps now includes charts. Can anyone recommend a book or website that will provide some detailed instruction?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Backlash I am not sure of any books on the subject because I need to learn more about the charts and stuff my self but I took a boater Safety course through the Power Squadrons when I first got my boat and if I remember correctly I think they have a class on chart reading and gps navigation.
If you check into please post back and let me know how it was.
Thanks
James

Also the Neuse Sport shop here in Kinston has a book for 40 bucks that has charts for most of the waterways in Nc. I have only flipped through it while I was in line but I think it had a page in there that showed you how to read the map. Pretty nice book everthing laminated and all.
I am sure your local tackleshop will have something similar

·
Registered
3 Posts
Backlash -
GMCO has a waterproof chartbook available for roughly $35, and it claims to cover the waterways from Back Bay, VA to Little River, SC.
I also agree with jamesandkim1 in recommending the Power Squadron. I used to be a member back in Green Bay, and was just cruising around the Fayetteville Chapter's website today. Fayetteville Sail and Power Squadron
They've got a Basic Boating course to begin with, or you might want to dive right in to Seamanship or Piloting. I learned a lot in the Piloting course, and it goes over chart reading and plotting in depth.

Hope this helps...

Jon

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, Captain Jon. I had no idea this exsisted in Fayetteville. Turns out the the Squadron Commander is an old acquaintance of mine from Ducks Unlimited. I have already emailed him to see if they have anything coming up. I have found some info on the interenet but it would be great to attend a organized class.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f30/recreational-boating-course-educational-bargain-8894.html

Check this out and it might have some info...I checked it out and found out that a basic class is offered on the 21-22 of July for my area...so they is hope for yours also.

I also under stand that having this class will lower your insurance on your premiums......might depend on the insurance agent....

When you pull up the website look on the right for boating classes..

Just checked it out and they will have a class on the 28-29th July at Gander Mountain in Fayetteville. All people that are new to boating and such should attend an and get beefed up on rules of the water...also some old salts might could use a little reminder.

Heck I've been boating for 40 years or better and I'm going to take the class if nothing but personal satifaction and the insurance benefits and then get your boat checked out by Coast Guard Auxillary for a free inspection and safety sticker on your boat...goes a long ways when you get stopped....

·
Registered
308 Posts
I took the boating Safety class a couple years ago when I first bought my boat. Very good class. The biggest thing I wanted to learn was what all those green and red signs meant and how to read them. After the class I knew.
James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.