NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says....On Sunday on Bay River I caught a few Lil ones on Gulp but I can not catch one on the MR 17 PLEASE help...I am not asking for the numbers on your hole!! Just some help on the retrieve and fishing those Mirrorlures... and Soft or Hard bait??

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Saltwater Rat L Trap was my productive bait this weekend. Silver with blue back. Most caught ripping it. Cast, let it sink, reel up slack, rip, reel up rip, then a few cranks with a twitch and rip.. I like to make my retrieves erratic more like a real minnow. Gets the rattle going in it too.. I use the low pitch model most but its because it is what I have the most of. I just bought some Bomber Super Pogys and slow sinking Badonkadonks I want to try too.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Saltwater Rat L Trap was my productive bait this weekend. Silver with blue back. Most caught ripping it. Cast, let it sink, reel up slack, rip, reel up rip, then a few cranks with a twitch and rip.. I like to make my retrieves erratic more like a real minnow. Gets the rattle going in it too.. I use the low pitch model most but its because it is what I have the most of. I just bought some Bomber Super Pogys and slow sinking Badonkadonks I want to try too.
Do you end up donating many of these to the bottom? I've found that the sinking rat-l-traps are more than hungry for oysters than my wallet likes. I agree these are crazy good for drum. I think maybe the movement and sound irritates the drum into striking😀. These produce more "feedback" through the line than any other artificial.
BTW I have a suspending bomber badonkadonk. It sinks like a rock and there is no action. Ymmv. If I could find a way to give it to you I'd do so because it got hung up yesterday and I had to go retrieve it. It's going into my unused tackle tackle box.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Rattle traps in Smokey Joe (greyish black/silver) and blue/silver get my vote for trap type baits. Loads of different colors in the Mirrolure and Paul Brown Soft Dine work and they all have a time they work best. Having several colors pays off in the end. Light, mid color and dark colors depending on the time of day, year or fishing area.

All waters are not the same and different colors work best in these areas. Fish take on the coloration of their environment, i.e. the waters they live in. Productive colors may only be good for a week or two and then change. As the waters get colder they get clearer so lighter colors or natural bait colors work good.

I like a 808, 21, 26, white, MG and many others. Paul Brown Soft dines have similar colors as the regular Mirrolure 17MR. A cheaper version of the Soft Dine are Tsunami Cork lures. You can get them for about 1/2 the price or a little less and work just like the 17's.

Cast out the lure, let it sink slightly and twitch, twitch and pause and repeat. I may twitch multiple times before I stop the bait. These are suspending baits and sit right in the face of the fish. Some times fish prefer plastics but normally they will hammer a 17 if the fish are their, just have to be the right color. A week ago we fished a stretch of the main Neuse River and caught a few runt specks. Loads of bait and fish hitting the bait, but not hitting the colors we were casting. I changed to a white one and fish on. We then continued to put some nice specks in the box.

Bernardo brought up a good point about bait. At times you can see a load of bait on the surface, but what happens to it when it goes below the surface. Light chops on the waters surface at times puts bait subsurface, but its still their. Menhaden will flash, turn sideways, and you can locate bait. Their may be a big bait ball underwater and not able to see them till a fish flashes. So mimic the patterns of the bait that the fish you seek feed on.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I don't use them around a lot of heavy structure. I also let them sink but seldom to the bottom. I use them in open water working humps, ledges or docks and seawalls that I already "know". I've lost several learning this, LOL!! I was hoping the Badonakdonk had some tight shimmy and chatter, haven't tried it yet sounds like it might get tossed into the "loaner" tackle..

Do you end up donating many of these to the bottom? I've found that the sinking rat-l-traps are more than hungry for oysters than my wallet likes. I agree these are crazy good for drum. I think maybe the movement and sound irritates the drum into striking. These produce more "feedback" through the line than any other artificial.
BTW I have a suspending bomber badonkadonk. It sinks like a rock and there is no action. Ymmv. If I could find a way to give it to you I'd do so because it got hung up yesterday and I had to go retrieve it. It's going into my unused tackle tackle box.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Lots of lures have no action built into them. The angler has to put action into baits by twitching, ripping, hopping, jerking, or similar methods of imitating bait fish either swimming or in its dying throes.

Jerk shad (Zoom fluke) for instance have no action with a jig head. The angler has to put that action into the lure. But times a small twitch or hop of the bait is all it takes to catch a fish. Other times a little more action or movement.

Mirrolure or other similar baits also have little movement just by casting and winding them back in. Action is put into the bait by twitching the bait. Current will also put movement into the bait. Later when it gets cold in the ICW or areas with heavy current all you do is to cast the lure cross current and let it go. Keep a tight line and wait for the bite. At the end of the cast the lure swings around with the current and just moves slightly, you aren't' doing anything, but the water is doing it for you.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I start with any hardbait mimicking the fish in the area. So I always start with natural shad, menhaden, mullet, pinfish colors. A shiny chrome/flash. Then I add ones with splashes of color, like a red head or pink back/belly, or some chartreuse mixed in. Then I get a model that is outrageous like "clown" colors, and a very dark one like purple or black. These are general descriptions that I apply to most any fish like hardbaits.. and actually my softbaits too now that I think about it.

Reactions: broncotwisterjim
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.