NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should know how to fix reels but I really don't never mess with them except to clean them.

ok 2 reels 2 problems.

1st...Shimano Citica....needs new drag washers. where is he best place to buy them and w/o calling shimano or taking the reel apart how do I know what size to get???

2nd.....Abu Garcia 4600 C4....has instant anti reverse but every now and then(not all the time) it backs up 1/8 or 1/4 turn....evident something is worn or missing in a small spot......

tks Mack

·
Registered
365 Posts
Coastline Service Center in Goldsboro NC, likely has the parts, and can also do the repairs.
They are usually listed in any and all reel owners manuals in the warranty/service section.
You can call 'em with your part number from a schematic, and they'll ship.
They're convenient for parts pickup if you happen to be in the area - fishin' maybe.
Or they'll accept a shipment or dropoff for repair, and ship back to you or hold for pickup.

Plus Fishin'
RW

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
On number two, when was the last time the reel was taken apart, cleaned, new grease added? That would be the first thing I would check for that specific problem. Also don't pack the grease.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Usually you can replace your drag washers for under $10. Goto this website or call this number and ask for Dawn: http://www.smoothdrag.com

The second issue sounds like your anti-reverse bearing has problems. Not expensive but you'll have to get Shimano parts. But they are commonly available on eBay if you know the part number

Reactions: Mack in N.C.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
That Abu has a pin bearing for the anti reverse clutch and it is likely that a pin or two is missing. Quite a common problem also an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Also don't forget that shimano drags need greasing unlike penn which are dry drags.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys...mack

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Mack, one of my 4600s needs a new anti-reverse bearing. It's all rusty and corroded from salt use. It occasionally slips just as you describe. If you find the correct replacement bearing, get me one too.

I've also taken apart my Citica and cleaned/regreased the drag washers so if you need help with that once your new washers come in, let me know.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
yep, that looks like an AR bearing -- weird that I still can't find it on the schematic, so no idea what the part # would be.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
got it. read too fast and missed the part about replacing the entire side plate. shame the bearing can't be easily replaced (like you can in shimano and other reels)--you can get those bearings typically under $20 new. saw a thread that you can replace that bearing, but it's not recommended (something about a special tools, replacement bearings not fitting tightly enough, etc.). thanks -- joel

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also don't forget that shimano drags need greasing unlike penn which are dry drags.
what kinda grease are yall talking about??? is it special or does a hardware store have it??...tks mack

1 - 20 of 24 Posts