NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help to find out what I need to change in my arsenal. I have 4 baitcasting combos for bass and one spinning reel I just spooled up. The main problem is I bought some rods and reels that are pretty close to being the same. I'll start out listing what combos I have...

Daiwa sweep fire 1500, 8lb Stren Sonic Braid, on a Daiwa triforce 6'6 mh 1/4-1 oz 8-17lb. I just recently purchased this rod and line so I could use it for floating worms and light bass fishing

Bass Pro Tourney special 6:3:1 baitcaster with 10lb sensation line on a Bill Dance Select rod 6ft 8-17lb 1/4-3/4 oz medium action. I like to use this outfit for plastic worms since the 6ft rod has a little backbone to it.

Bass Pro extreme 6:3:1 28"pt 10lb suffix tritanium on a bass pro Crankin Stick IM6 6'6 1/16-1/2 oz 6-14lb med lite, fast action. This outfit I mostly use for spinner baits and small to medium size crankbaits

Quantum Surge burner 7:0:1 14lb suffix tritanium on a quantum surge rod 7ft 10-20 1/4-1oz medium heavy. I use this for burning spinner baits and some for worms

lastly I have a lews bb1 6:4:1 10lb suffix tritanium on a 6'6 veritas medium action 1/4-5/8 oz 8-17 lb line. I absolutely love this combo! I use it for any sized crank baits, chatterbaits, spinner baits etc

what I really want is another lews and veritas combo for either frogs or a 5:6:1 ratio for slow rolling rattle traps. I definitely need a frog setup for a pond I've been going to in my kayak but I'm not sure if my quantum with the burner could handle braid and heavy loads, even though the rod is a medium heavy it is a very limber rod. What do y'all think I should get? I'm between the 5:6:1 for slow roll or getting a little higher speed frog reel with braid. This will be my first time trying frogging so I'm all ears to suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
For a frog rod I would go with something like a flipping stick, 7 or 7-6 with pretty heavy action and stiff, that will be a good setup to handle jigs and plastics in heavy cover aswell. That will be helpful for getting them out of thick cover or grass. A faster reel would be my choice for that application as sometimes the fish might run towards you and fast line recovery helps to get a good hookset and get them out of the cover before they get you buried in it.

Looks like your current rods would be suitable for the ratltraps depending on how and where you fish them.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If you want a Veritas, I would condsider the VRTC70-7, it is 7' heavy (3/8-1 1/2) with either a 6.4:1 or 7:1 ratio reel. The rod should be suitable for multiple techniques besides frogs, including pitching, flipping, c-rig, jigs, and even a-rig. The slower 5.4:1 type reels are only really a big benefit for deep diving cranks. For traps you can just reel slower. Depending on the size trap you are using I would use the Quantum combo or the Lew's/Veritas you already own.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think Neil and Blue pretty much nailed it. Rattle traps and other lipless cranks you don't really have to have a 5:6-1 in my opinion. If I'm slow rolling I often find yo-yoing a rattle trap to be more efficient, and I seem to do it better with a higher speed reel. I can keep it from getting as much debris on it, and I normally use it in the winter so anything that potentially looks like a dying shad is a plus. I prefer a MH over a H action unless you are going to be hauling bass out of very thick mats. A MH has enough backbone to handle most cover you'll be in around here and if you're using it for a frog it'll reduce the chances of you having a frog flying at your face after a miss. With that being said based on what you currently have a slower ratio reel for your lipped cranks would be nice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice. I ended up getting a shimano curado i with a 5:5:1 ratio and put it on a shimano sellus crankbait rod. I decided to go ahead and get a dedicated crankbait reel since I fish those more than anything else. I'm probably going to get another one in the future for pitching and frogs. I pitched a jig in the backyard with my curado just to see how it would do to know if I'd want another in the high gear ratio and it is super smooth. The curado is way smoother than anything I have and more ergonomic. I compared it to my lews bb1 casting and I can cast lighter baits way further with it than my bb1. I haven't tried anything heavier because I only played in my backyard and didn't want to catch any trees. For right now I'm going to step up the mono on my bb1 and use it for pitching and spinnerbaits. Hopefully with heavier mono I could frog with it also. Thanks once again everyone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.