NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone could help me and my buddy out with a good place to go do some striper fishing. We live in Jacksonville NC but are willing to do some driving to get there and also what baits or lures are having good success right now, Any help would be greatly appreciated!! THANK YOU

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
FROM THE REPORTS I BENN GETTING THE STRIPERS ARE BEING CAUGHT DOWN IN NEW BERN AT THE RAILROAD TRESSEL, AND IN LITTLE WASHINGTON THE WATERFRONT AND UP THE TAR RIVER INTO GRIMESLAND NC, AS FAR AS BAITS MOST FOLKS ARE USING LIVE ELLS IN BOTH PLACES, NOW MY FAVORITE HARD BAITS WOULD BE ( DANNY JOE HUMPRIES FEATHER TAIL VIBRATION )THERE ARE OTHER RATTLE TRAP BAIT OUT THERE, AND THE OLD HIPER STRIPER BAITS DO OK. HOPE THIS HELPS............CHRIS

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
How bout the calcuta flashfoils I have heard they are ok for stripers, Has anyone had any luck,
Yes Sir - the Calcutta Flashfoil swim baits work GREAT on Stripers. At least the ones in the Cape Fear River seem to like them.

Don't tell anyone but they work great for sight casting to schooling dolphin (mahi mahi) too ;):)

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
You may find alot of good info using the "Search" function on the site as well since there has been alot of "striper talk" and New bern in the last few months. Good luck and have fun!!!

Reactions: redsoxfantildeath

·
Registered
287 Posts
Redsoxfan Put In At Lawson's Creek Ramo In New Bern Don't Stop At First Ramo Follow Paved Road Past Bathrooms To Back Ramp, Puts U In At Neuse River. U Will Be Able To See Train Trestles From There. There Is Two Right In That Area.
Stripes Kinda Of Hit And Miss.
Very Early In Am Is When We've Had Best Luck And Other Folks Say They Have Had Goo Luck Late Into Evening Into Dark.
Live Eels Fished Under Corks. Use Good Line Lots Of Obstructions Around Trestles.
Good Luck
James

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Are the strippers still biting downtown Willmington? If so where would be a good place to start to look for them, and where are the boat ramps down town?

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Not sure if they are still biting but I would guess they are. Start your search for them along the banks and bridge piling north of Memorial Bridge (NE Cape Fear). There is a public boat ramp next to the Memorial Bridge on the north side of the bridge, east bank.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
As of today Field and Stream Sports in New Bern has eels.. If you buy from them please tell Earl you read it on NCAngler!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If I were you I would go to Organ Inlet and fish the ocean side.

Fresh water I would go to Buggs Island ( Kerr Lake). Those would be my main choices from your location.

Lake Hartwell on the Ga. and SC. line is next , but is is a good drive for you and also Lake Murrey, SC.

If you plan to take the latter trips I would make it a 4 day trip.

I can give you some hints and places to get bait and fish if you are interested.

Fish Tracer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.