NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the area, I'm fishing from a small RIB at the mouth of the masonboro inlet. I've caught some nice 10"+ spottail pinfish, some almost keeper black sea bass and an almost keeper tautog. I'm using mostly a 1/8 jig head with shrimp or cut squid. Any other techniques should i be trying or different areas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tanks,
Andre

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hey Andre - welcome to the board.

I know in the fall the low part of the north jetty holds specks and some good size ones. Not sure what's there now. You might try some Berkely gulp! on that jig head. Also if you have a cast net, try some live mullet on a carolina rig.

Tight Lines!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok sounds great thanks for the suggestions guys, I also hit Tex's tackle today and picked up a yo-zuri crystal minnow, Chris's suggestion, no luck today though all I got was a lizard fish:mad:, maybe better luck and calmer seas tomorrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i got the gear, now to find some hungry fishies. I might try some live bait for cobia and kings as suggested, what bait fish can I use? Those little croakers that always take the shrimp or is that illegal?:confused:

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Croakers & pin fish will work for Cobia. A small blue, menhaden, cigar minnow, blue runner, greenback and I even used lizard fish with success on cobia and Kings.

If I'm targeting cobia I anchor and chum - running lines near the bottom, in the middle of the water column a light line on the surface with a ballon.

For kings I prefer slow trolling - barely moving in fact - just enough movement to keep the lines tight in the water. Some times that means bumping in and out of gear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well I was out there almost all day got a sunburn and thats all I kept. The wind was strong and the seas were pretty rough so i could only troll around the lee-ward sides of the jetties. I tried a small croaker for a while, then the pink/white yo-zuri, then a carolina rig with shrimp that scored me a ray and a large spottail pinfish. The ray was pretty exciting i had no idea what it was, it was tough as **** to get off the bottom and kept stripping line off the reel. I thought it would be a huge flounder but oh well at least it was fun. Maybe better luck tomorrow.
Thanks for the help:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, worst luck today, I got a visit from the frindly NC coast guard. After a quick inspection, I was headed back to port, with a shopping list. My RIB needs a type IV throwable and registration numbers. Hopefully I'll be back out tomorrow:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Luckily just a warning, and anything over 7HP needs to be registered. Over 16ft you need a class IV throwable life ring. To go past the end of the jettie i need flares. i have a portable gas tank so no fire extinguisher required, and of course a whistle and a life jacket for everyoone onboard. He didnt care i had two GPS's, a cell phone and a VHF. Darn rules, cant have any fun.:D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just a quick (probably dumb) question on the boat registration, does registration from another state apply? Or do I need some sort of other NC registration to take my boat out on the salty? Never had any problems on Hatteras but the same rules don't always apply in different areas with different officers

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Just FYI ... if you use a fuel you should have a fire extinguisher Just my opinion.. I would think a portable fuel tank is even more dangerous....

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
There's a seawall there at Money Point on the right in the ICW by the last red channel marker before you head east out of the ICW towards the inlet.
Along that seawall and pylings, we've caught reds/flounder/specs in there south of the one shoal 30 yards north of the channel pylings... ;) Can try that in there sometime.

Also by the Coast Guard station first thing in the morning blues around in there especially during the summer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the tips,
The coast guard thing; Any state registration is fine, only need if your outboard is bigger than a 7HP. We registered at Crocker Marine it was $25. Fireextinguisher is only required if you have a permanent gas tank, I was told that if my boat catches fire i can throw the gas tank overboard, and presumably bail water on the fire. I was also told to buy a throwable class IV flotation device $12 from walmart and flares if i was going out past the jetty. Life jackets and whistles one per occupant. Hope that helps.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Fireextinguisher is only required if you have a permanent gas tank, I was told that if my boat catches fire i can throw the gas tank overboard, and presumably bail water on the fire.
Last thing I'm touching if my boats burning is an open vented fuel can and sling it around in a boat!! LOL

Reactions: Dave B.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL ya I can see you now whipping it around with a flamming trail setting everything on the boat on fire. Then what are you gonna do jump into the flamming fuel slick? But honestly thats what the officer told me.
I just got back from the jetty and trolling around by the coast guard pier, saw fish jumping, not quite sure what they were. But I didnt even get a single bite.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
They don't eat meat so catching them on a rod & reel is rare. I've heard of some folks catching them on bread balls but mostly we just net them. Some folks eat them but not me. They are popular in the fall for their roe. The smaller ones we call finger mullet and they are excellent bait! Catch those with a cast net and put them on a carolina rig and HOLD on to the rod.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.