NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all thanks to everyone for the info. With snow on the banks I seem to be one of the few brave( or crazy) enough to be fishing the chilly winter waters around here. I was wondering if anyone had fished helton creek before? I've heard good things but it never hurts to hear them again. Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's a good water for getting your confidence up for Trout. The delayed harvest lets you fish for stocked fish (some 8-12K over the year of brookies, bows, browns) that will not be as spooky as those found in wild water or heavily fished streams. A good technique is a drop rig. Some type of high-vis attractor(Yellow Humphy/Red/Orange) or High-vis parachute and a drop of a bead head nymph (pheasant tail/zug-bug/prince), or egg imitations, or my favorite (San Juan Worm red/brown/rust).
Also, the New River is up there and camping in the State Park.Good Luck...

·
Registered
353 Posts
March is a great time to be there.:) Not too much pressure, lots of fish, and nice water. Falls to pools to flats to riffs, it has them all. Some deep holes that the fish hold up in to stay warm and feed. Various size fish from minnows to 20" bows.;) Bead head Hares Ear and bead head Zug-Bug with a very small split shot 16-18" above the nymph gets the meal down in those holes to flush out the larger fish. Lots of fun. Rt 194 to Strugills and then turn right. Look on right about a 1/2 mile for Little Helton Rd. and fish from there all the way to the Big Helton. :cool:

·
Registered
353 Posts
That is a fact, Troutbum123. I heard of Helton from a good friend of my oldest daughter who went to ASU and did a lot of fishing in that area. Watuaga(?), Holston, Helton and the likes. I have been on streams from Helton to Abrams crk in Tenn in the Smokies. Mostly Pisgah and GSM parks. I am concerned about the weather forecasters who are saying that without some rain soon we may be subject to a drought. If that occurs, I'm headed for Tenn where there is always water.:eek:

·
Registered
353 Posts
That's right Crummy. I will be heading back that way around Easter with a friend who used to live up there off 16 near Starling?, (forgot the name, old age!) or dead brain cells. Maybe do a little fishing, a little clay shooting, and just maybe a spring gobbler.
Can't wait. I must have seen thirty turkeys this past week. Pretty country "up thar in them heels."

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm jealous Slowriser. I have not been able to make it to the GSM. But Helton has been my saviour when I get off work and just have a few hours to fish. So I pretty much grew up on it. I've explored off the mountain and have been sucessful. I haven't really tredged the "known" waters of the area, but I found myself enjoying little blue lines off the back side of Grandfather, and so more winding away from the parkway. So, I guess I've stuck to the wild creeks other than Helton. But I wouldn't mind hear about some of the places you've fished. Maybe even get a day on the water together.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hey Troutbum,
I sent a reply but I must have done something wrong cause I don't see it. Well, I have fished from Ashe County to Swain and all points in between. I prefer Pisgah, simply because I am more familiar and "feel" more comfortable there than in GSM. I stop at Wilson Creek Outfitters in Morganton to talk with Walter, who owns it. I go to Mortimer, Wilson Creek, Lost Cove, Gragg Prong, and other spots. Having said that, I do love the GSM, just don't know it that well. I know to go to Bryson City, NC and there is a campground just up from there. Deep Creek is a beautiful place. Lots of big Browns there, but the Pressure makes them a little spooky. Some fish at night for them. A couple of years ago when we had a drought, WCO(above) told me to go over to Tenn cause they had plenty of water. I did some research and went to Abrams Creek. Now, that was virgin timber, a live bear sanctuary, and very primitive camping. Only 12 sites. 25 fish in two days of fishing. I must have walked 10-15 miles. I want to go up higher to Palmer Creek near the Balsam Mts., NC. Higher up elevations have more natives in the water. They have trouble down lower with serviving the Browns and Bows.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's great. You know most people would call us crazy for hiking around and what not, to catch a handful of natives... but I consider the trek in half of the fun. I'd rather be walking back in the sticks then cooped up in a classroom or small apartment.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hey NCtrouter. Isn't that one of the feeders for Fontana Lake. Hazel, Noland and (I forget, is it Indian?) the third one. Old Age and dead brain cells. I read that those creeks were such great fisheries in years past that they were listed in all the magazines and that you had to bring your own rock to stand on. I would like to know more from someone who really knows. I have just shyed away from them, because I really don't like being cast over, hooked, and puttin up with a crowd of folks. Let me know and maybe we can make a plan.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Eagle is the other one and yep they have been listed and had folks on them but hazel is the one everyone raves about. Hazel is actually a limestone creek and it supports a higher level bug factory therefore the fish eat better. Deep Creek has a good access campground and gets absolutely hammered, Noland is kind of the forgotten sister and gets less pressure than all of them. I have walked in and camped on a major holiday weekend more than once and literally not seen another soul on the river all day. Did the same on Hazel and had to watch the backcast all day for fear of giving someone a pierced ear.

·
Registered
353 Posts
OK. I've been to the campground at Deep Creek, years ago. I was the only one there for about two days and then the dam broke. Lots of pressure. So much so that the local fly shop mgr told me to fish at nite. I'll check out Noland and see what I can do. Maybe touch base with ya if I take off for there. That's a long ride for me. I usually try to stay up in Pisgah because its closer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.