NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You,

It is kind of strange in that you were the first to reply because of your name. I spend an untold number of hours on Topsail Island. I fished all the piers, McKees, Scotch Bonnet, Barnacle Bills, Surf City, Dolphin, New Topsail, and the sound pier. I also started out as a mate at the Dolphin Marina on the Buddy's Pirate. And I eventually got my Captains Lic. Ran a charter boat out of there and Sneeds Ferry. Wow, brings back a lot of memories.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Welcome aboard Capt.! Just guessing but I think I can throw out some names from that era that will bring back some more memories. Try Larry Lee, Big John, Rachett, David, Wilson, Pansy, Crip Rhodes, Buddy Canady, Robert Canady, Buddy Harrell...any of those ring a bell? I think I will bump up a early ier post that might bring back some more. AL

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Snook - sounds like we have a lot in common as far as our love of this area. I grew up here and have lived here about 30 years of my life so far. God willing, I plan to add however many years I have left here on earth to that 30 (in other words, I hope to stay here for the rest of my life).

Sinker man and were counting one night and came up with nine as the number of ocean piers that once call Topsail Island home. I think I have fished them all (and so has sinkerman I think). Just three left now.

These days you can usually find me plowing around in my 19' Maycraft. Bet we fish some of the same honey holes too.

Look forward to hearing about your fishing ventures.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Larry Lee tall lanky from the Four Oaks area as I remember. Big John from Holly Ridge. Both of those are a couple of guys that I spent a lot of time fishing with on the Dolphin Pier(owned by Harvy Jones). I caught an 89 lb. 12 oz. AJ off the pier and the very next day Big John caught one a little bit bigger to take first place in the Topsail Island Fishing Club. All the other names are also known to me. I really miss the area. If I ever leave Florida that's the area I come back to. Thanks for the memories.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I wish the fishing was as good now as it was in those days. I was just getting into king fishing when I was 12 years old. I had to borrow a 6/0 from Larry that first time. After that it wasn't long before I bought high speed 6/0 with that hard earned tobacco croppin' money. I worked out in that hot Carolina sun many an hour just to get a chance to go fishing on the weekend. I used to catch a ride down with Crip whenever he went. Now it looks like we are both a long ways from "home". AL

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Welcome Snookchaser. I'm looking forward to your post on Central Florida. I was in Tampa earlier this year and fished around Honeymoon Island. I hope to get another chance to come down sometime soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.