NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm searching for a 2nd kayak (one that my friends can use so they don't have he excuse of not having one) so that I don't have to paddle by myself as much. I want something very simple like mine. I have a Victory Blast from Dick's I paid right at 200 for it brand new, but it is moderate in all conditions (lake,river,fishing it can do it all to an extent)

Anyways I'm looking for something similar that someone may have sitting around collecting dust that I can get relatively cheap. It won't be used much, so it doesn't have to be anything special. I am wanting to go less than 150 for a used one. I found one on craigslist for 100, but it is a white water yak (still thinking about buying it because it may not be too bad on a lake, but it may not be too good either haha. thanks for any info you guys will provide!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
171 Posts
From my experiance, a whitewater kayak won't do well on a lake. They don't track straight and are harder to paddle in still water due to their bottom shape. This works very good in moving water but not in calm. Also, the comfort level in most whitewater boats leaves a lot to be desired because you are pretty much wedged in. Again, this works great on moving water since the boat becomes an extension of your body and gives better control. When fishing on calm water, I prefer a little room to move around in the boat. Just my $.02

Dave

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Most whitewater boats these days are designed to "play" in the whitewater. They're very short and stubby with very gently-curved bottoms, designed to dance all over a standing wave (and jump and do helicopters and all kinds of off-the-wall stunts). Certainly not something that a rookie would enjoy trying to get from Point A to Point B in.

It seems like you've got the right idea -- keep an eye on ebay and craigslist, and be patient and wait for the deal you want. Also make friends with the folks at Paddle Creek and Provision Company, and keep an eye on their websites for clearance boats.

I don't know if REI might include kayaks in their garage sales or not -- two of the local stores are doing their garage sales this weekend (15th & 16th) and the third is next Saturday (22nd). Ya might call and find out.

Kevin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
which ones are doing these sales and what exactly is there "garage sale"? your right about it being for play and stuff... and this one i'm not actually looking to fish out of. I may buy it just because it is a good deal and sell it here in raleigh for 200 haha. I do, do a little river kayaking, but only the likes of the neuse and a river in SC.

I may can still be able to get a discount of some sort at Dick's (used to work there) but i can't count on it! I'll keep my eyes open

thanks guys!!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
REI's Garage Sale is where they sell items that have been returned. They happen roughly quarterly -- find your store on rei.com and click on "Events". I've gone once or twice -- the crowds are usually pretty um, healthy. I arrived an hour before opening once, and wound up 100 to 150 yards back in the line.

Provision Company does a "sidewalk sale", theirs is not as regular or as frequent as REI's.

I don't know if either of them include kayaks.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Paddle Creek used to have an old model (2 revisions ago) Wilderness Systems Ride in their yard. I toyed with the idea of taking it a couple years ago for a little more than what you're looking to spend now. Pretty sure I saw it there this past fall. If its still there it might go for your price. Worth a call or stop to see if its still out in the yard. Medium (weather-faded) blue, had a rudder ( that may or may not be worth keeping on the boat), may not have had the rear seat strap. Big, heavy, stable boat.

Outside of that, keep an eye out for garage sales.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.