NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to NC 6 months ago....maybe less. I live about 30yards from a branch in the Abermarle sound....its like a little canal.

I have caught alot of fish and could identify them all ....but recently we have been seeing these fish jump out of the water at random. They go like 1-3ft in the air and seem to be about 18" to 24" long with a silver body color. If I were in a salt water bay I would say they look like bluefish....but Im in freshwater so what looks like blues jumpin in fresh water? Especially off the sound? I was thinking striper but they dont have the same shape. Do shad or herring get that big?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
yep, thats shad/herring.. they'll drive ya crazy if ya don't know what they are and you'll cast yourself to death trying to catch em until you find out... oh and by the way..Albemarle sound is brackish, salt and fresh mix.. read this http://members.inteliport.net/~aea/albsndtxt.htm

Dont jerk it til they work it!!- *Sundrop

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
You probably wont. A tiny gold hook and a bit of squid floated near the surface drift sometimes but you usually have to use a casting net and blind cast. At least thats my limited experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.