NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm actually from TN, but interested in reading as much as I can about fishing. Especially kayak fishing. I went to school in Cookeville, TN and during that time had plenty of opportunities to wade the roaring and caney fork rivers. Graduated and moved to LaVergne, TN, south of Nashville, and the Stones River is just too rocky to wade. Guess that's the reason for the name. I spend more time dodging boulders than catching fish. So, kayaking sound like to route for me. I like fishing shallow water and don't want to buy a boat. Too expensive. The boss-I mean the wife- isn't game on that one. Any kayak info would be great. I've found a lot of useful info in the watercraft forum. Thanks for the site.

Ryan

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Plenty of paddle boaters here!!!! that's a fact! ;):rolleyes::D I'm sure after they get their mornin latte's down they'll be around to welcome ya! ;)

Welcome on our Tennessee fishin neighbor!
I have to be nice to you "T" folks... as my sister inlaw is one of them McCoy's she went to school in Pigeon Forge.:rolleyes:

Again welcome on fellow fisher!

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I'm sure after they get their mornin latte's down they'll be around to welcome ya! ;)
That's why I had to buy a 2nd yak - first one didn't have a latte holder!

Welcome Crusher39. If you've got any specific yak questions let us have 'em - we've got enough of a community with enough opinions that we should be able to fill a page or two with a variety of answers. Every question answered (or debated) adds to the body of knowledge out here. There is some existing information in the kayak fishing forums (main, salt and fresh), and several kayak reviews on the Reviews page.

If you've got a yak, we'll be glad to put you on the map.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Jeff I do have a yak question for you on your new latta holder it looks longer of more narrow all most like a touring yak does it go thru the water easier than other sit ons you have tried?
The Search 15 (latte-1? latte-express-O?) is longer and narrower and definitely has a sharper, deeper shape cutting the water than my Redfish 14, so it pushes less water. I notice the difference mostly as I accelerate from a stop toward cruising speed - where its much more responsive and noticeably quieter. It also has a longer glide than the Redfish. I think my substantial weight muffles a lot of the benefit it would show for an "average" sized person... That's where the buoyancy and stability of the Redfish pays off - its jut not tippy at all. I don't notice any difference in cruising speed - there probably is some on the GPS, but you'd have to do a lot of testing to prove it and factor out coffee, sleep, breakfast, wind, current, etc... The seats are sort of a wash - the bolt-on Redfish seat is a little flat but more comfortable over the long haul where the molded-in Search is more pleasant initially but wears on the tailbone after a while.

The Search doesn't turn quite as well due to the stronger keel effect (but its not like the redfish swings about on a dime itself, so this isn't saying too much). The other thing I notice is that the undercut on the bow catches and echos hull slap much more than the Redfish's vertical sides.

Pluses and minuses all around. I've got the rudder, the fish finder and the anchor trolley on the Redfish, so it wins on the basis of rigging and extras sometimes. The Search is a little lighter and a little more fun to paddle - you feel more like part of the boat and more like you're in a kayak - so it wins sometimes. I expect the Search will do really well if & when I paddle the surf. That big nose ought to slice the waves where the Redfish looks like it'll take more of a beating.

Overall there's not a huge difference for me so far. Nice to have a little variety and nice to have a spare for bringing somebody along.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome Crusher. Dickson TN born and NC is where I plan to be planted when I'm gone!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.