NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Sharon, I live in Pennsylvania, my husband & I own a blue stone quarry business that keeps us very busy.

In our spare time, our passion is fishing. We fish mostly the "Great"est Lake, Ontario. We have land at Henderson, NY off of Lake Ontario and spend every spare minute there on the water. We've caugh the best Lake Trout, Salmon, and Brownies in the Northeast, along with of course the small mouth out of this Lake.

Although, we have some large mouth, we havent seemed to find the quality fish as we have fishing Falls Lake in North Carolina. The fish we have pulled out of Falls Lake are incredible. (Although we haven't been there in years.)
The memories are like yesterday.

We are planning a bass trip for the end of March, to Falls Lake, and are currently trying to find some information, or a source to keep up on the fishing conditions there, but have been unsuccesful. We want to prepare accordingly.

Any information that you know of or can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to hear from you.

Sharon:eek:

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Nice to meet ya! Glad to hear you enjoy visiting our little corner of the "sunny south". I've lived here since 1975, with very few complaints.

I can't help ya much on Falls... my home's so close to Jordan I haven't taken the effort to head up to Falls. Someone recommended another site to me the other day, but I think its fishing reports only cover Jordan and Harris. It was hard to get past the advertising, much of which I didn't find particularly tasteful or welcome, so I'll pass on posting the link (PM me if you particularly wanna go check it out).

I hope y'all find what you need! (I mean, "youse guys".)
Lefty

·
Registered
574 Posts
Girlfish, welcome aboard! I haven't been able to get in touch with my buddies at work yet to ask them about Falls Lake. I'll let you know something as soon as I do.

This is just a suggestion, but I think you're the first group of people of "northern-descent" (I'd normally say yankees, but my wife says that's offensive ;)), that came down South to go freshwater fishing. Have you tried the fishing at the coast? I'm probably gonna make my freshwater brethren on here mad, but if NC lake fishing gets you excited, you ought to try fishing for flounder, speckled trout, drum or some of the larger offshore species. I typically fish freshwater when I can't make it to the beach and I just gotta have a fix!

Again, welcome aboard!
PH

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
OK, this is second hand information but a compilation of several sources. From what I could gather from people who had fished falls in the last week the water is around 50 degrees and murky. The bass are biting so so in 8' or less water. Some 3-6lbers are being caught along with mostly 16"- 17" fish. Several people reported that they couldn't find any fish but that's par for the course with early spring /late winter fishing. My advice should you go soon is to look for warmer water. Look for places that recieve sun all day that are sheltered from the wind. Look for such areas near cover. If you can find such a place near a sandy/gravely area with woody cover nearby call me!:D AL

·
Registered
574 Posts
Redfishtom, I am guessing from your sign-on, that given your druthers, you'd fish the salty stuff.....tell the truth.

I still maintain if a good sized (southern) largemouth gets you going, just pull in a slot drum and you'll never go back to PA. OH MY GOD! That's what happened to C.A.R.Y. NC :eek:!

There are even places in NC where you can catch it all, like the White Oak. I have been fishing with Seabiscuit and caught Drum, Flounder, Specks, Channel Cats, Striper and a Largemouth. All were caught with a mile of the same spot. He's even caught a bowfin just a mile or so in the other direction.

Anyway, some folks are salty and some ain't. I'm just saying if you haven't tried it, you should. :)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
ParrotHead said:
you'll never go back to PA. OH MY GOD! That's what happened to C.A.R.Y. NC :eek:!
Odd you should mention C.A.R.Y. in this group -- Coach and I seem to be the most-active Cary residents. Coach is a natural-born southern boy, and my folks emigrated from the midwest when I was six. I consider myself naturalized, although some may disagree. At worst, I'm a relocated farmer.

Girlfish, the acronym Parrothead's referring to is that Cary has become known as our local Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. But that's OK, 'cuz there's still plenty of "southern hospitality" left to share in the fishing.

Just not the honey-holes. If you want to catch lots of lumber and trash, you'll need to find your own sweet-spots, I ain't tellin! :D

L8r
Lefty

·
Registered
90 Posts
There is a marina called Rolling View Marina on the lake #919-596-2194. I think Amy is the name of an owner. They also have a guide that works at the marina but can't think of his name. You might try them for info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your input, very happy to meet you guys (y'all).

Thank you for all of your information, I will use all of it in some way shape or form, I am sure.

I want to say, that I too was a migrater of the North - to the South back in 1994. I moved to Raleigh from NY, in 94', and on a fishing expedition with a mutual friend at Falls Lake, I met my husband (who is from PA), in 96' and as history has it, I moved back North with him that year, and was married to him in 2000.

I love NC, I love Falls Lake, and I love the southern hospitality that I found there. I honestly would love to move back to NC. I am a native New Yorker, born and raised, but I should have been born in the south. I cant stand the people here (the northerner's) they are the "rudest" people I have ever known, and sad to say, its only getting worse. If my husband and I did not own our own business, I am sure that we would live in the south (NC).

So my hat is off to all of you!:) I was leary of posting information about being from the North, but I said what the heck, give it a shot, and you have proven to me once again that southern hospitality was and is still one of the most attractive assets of the south. :eek: (Besides the fishing.)

Saltwater is always an option, we have done it, however, living in the North, not too much. We have fished in Jamaica, for Yahoo, we have fished in Florida for Tarpin, and we have fished in Alaska for Halibut. Haven't yet fished NC for any saltwater. Maybe later in the year. For now, we just bought a new Nitro 882, and are very excited about trying it out on Falls at the end of the March.

Please feel free to keep your suggestions coming, I look forward to taking it all in. Look forward to chatting with you. Hopefully will have some great photos to post after our trip down. :rolleyes:

Take care all, and thank you,
Girlfish (Sharon)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Girlfish, keep us posted.

Lefty, you know C.A.R.Y., have you heard of C.L.A.Y.T.O.N.? That's where I live, in the Cary-Like Area Yankees Take Over Next :D .

·
Registered
791 Posts
Girlfish,

This guy might be able to help you out. www. haulingbass.com
Drop him a line or give him a call. IF you arne't interested in a guide, he might still give you some hints.

Rye

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.