NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am a new member living near Morganton NC. I like to trout fish at South Mountains State Park and have done some fishing on Curtis Creek. I am looking to try some new areas but need directions. I would really like to check out Wilson Creek if anyone can give me good directions to a parking area. I do not have a 4-wheel drive so I will be doing some hiking. Anyway, I just wanted to say Hi to everyone.

Ken:)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Howdy, welcome aboard!!
I've done a little bit of hiking-fishing here in the Triangle area -- still looking for a good way to carry the rods. Also, hiking with kids is a very different dynamic. If you've got a good system worked out for packing and carrying your gear, I'd be interested in how you've rigged it up. Unfortunately, it's been college since I was in the Morganton area... Wow -- 1990 or thereabouts... Shortly after Hurricane Hugo, as I recall... Crikey, that makes it 1989... :eek:

Sigh... There's a bunch of nice backpacking land up thataway, if my ancient decrepit memory serves... Sigh...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
You know, I've notice the "quality" ( and I use the term loosely ) of some of these telescopic rods have gotten better over the years. They would be easy to carry along in/on a backpack....

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Hi, Ken. Welcome to the site. Some of the aerial and satellite photo sites like Google maps are pretty good for getting an idea or two about an area. It is nothing like being there but it is probably the next best thing if the resolution happens to be good in that area. Ownership issues, parking and chances of your vehicle being hit by thieves are all issues that photography doesn't address though.
One option for toting shorter rods like a couple of 2pc 5' UL spinning rods is a backpack style arrow quiver. Some will work as is, up to 5' but for a longer rod most will have to be modified. That eliminates the option of a backpack style tackle box but normally the bulk of your tackle should be left at home. If you shop around you can usually find used archery equipment pretty cheap. The one I used to have had a small zipper compartment on bottom that would hold required tackle and a couple of sandwiches.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I'm not so sure about finding what I was talking about. If my memory serves me correctly the one I had was the original Cat Quiver. CA about '88 or '89. Today's Rancho Safari Cat quivers are totally different. A cheaper way is the traditional over the shoulder back quiver with the reels removed or the combo inserted upside down. The one I used to have was great for trout fishing in out of the way places.

·
Registered
230 Posts
hello and welcome. you may want to try linville river from crossnore down through linville gorge. very good trout all the way and nice small mouth on the lower end of the gorge. also south toe river from blue ridge parkway to micaville outside burnsville. I know lots of good trout creeks in this area and will be happy to help you find them. good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.