NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished Friday, Saturday and yesterday in both the New River and the Neuse. All I had to show for it was a couple pike and a bass. Not exactly the fish I was looking for, but any day on the water is a good day for me. Yesterday I decided to fish for a few hours and give it one last shot for the weekend before heading off to work. It was too nice of a day not to try. I launched the kayak and paddled to an area that has done well for me in the past. I had only been there a few minutes when I felt the first tug.

With as light as the bite felt and considering where I was at, I figured trout. I set the hook, had a little battle and brought to hand a small red. Not what I was expecting but I wasn't complaining. I proceeded to catch another on the next cast. After landed the second fish, I smeared on more procure and sent the jig to the same spot. Within seconds I felt the tug again. To my surprise it was a nice sized trout, the fish I was after. That kind of luck doesn't happen to me this time of year, catching 3 fish in 3 casts.

A couple reds and awhile later a two fellows came by in their boat and asked if they minded if they fished across the bank. I had to go within an hour or so, and I cant catch them all so it was no big deal. Told them what I was using and we small talked for a bit. I was looking down concentrating on working the jig as slow as I could when I hear a bang and a splash. I look up to see the guy in the back is no longer holding his rod. Seems a fish hit so hard it jerked it right out of his hand. The 3 of us cast in the area for about 20 minutes without snagging his line. Just when I got back to fishing, the same guy yells out he has a line, and proceeds to hand line his old lure up. Then on the other end his rod was still there. Talk about lucky.

Unfortunately I had to go not long after but hopefully those guys did well. Any day when you can get a sunburn in February with a T shirt on, catch a few fish and witness something cool is a good day in my book.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sounds like a great time. Glad your persistence paid off finally. Im also really glad the guy got his rod back! I lost a rod temporarily last fall. Casting frantically with a big 2 oz weight and a 4/0 hook finally got my rod.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm pretty sure I spoke to you Sunday. I was in a big green Coastal Skiff with two other guys. You gave me some advice on what color bait to throw.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah, I think so. Not my boat, though. It belongs to my buddy. I just drove it on the trailer for him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.