NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High Rock is behind me! One day I might learn to fish that lake but it wasn't this weekend! :p

I caught a few but it was not enough as far as the tournament went. This was my best bass...

photo.jpg

When I returned to weigh in, I found that I wasn't fishing quite shallow enough...most fish were caught in less than 2 feet of water flipping any number of baits around the docks and the broken up timber that is all over the lake.

After this one, though, I am still in the top 20 overall for the NC division at 18th, but I am DEFINITELY looking forward to the last tourney of the year on Lake Norman!

High Rock can be tough, but I am determined to learn it better! For my fish, I caught them flipping a Creature-X and tossing the chartruese and white spinnerbait around the wood. the water was near 90 degrees and fairly clear for High Rock standards...a foot visibility!

In the words of Ahnold...I'll be back!

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I here echos of Jerry in this thread I think im psychic!
Maybe a litte, but I know I will be going back. I am going to figure that one out! I think Jerry is pretty much done with High Rock! Hahaha!

Reactions: jerry condrey

·
Registered
875 Posts
I also fished the BFL at the Rock on Saturday. I managed to avaid the dreaded skunk as well, but only managed 1 keeper for 3 lb. Hero to zero is the phrase that comes to mind. I did get to fish with a local legend, who knows that lake better than most anyone alive and he only managed 1 keeper as well, although his could have eaten mine! Still I had fun, and learned a little, I hope! Good luck at the 'Norm.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who did you fish with?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
You fellas can have High Mud, er, High Rock..lol I'll keep good ole Badin! Ya see, I guess I am just getting lazy in my old age. I don't see why I should work soooooo hard to catch a bass when I can catch a boat load there. That's the fun of it for me-catching fish, not hunting fish. Only time I hunt fish now is looking for a good seafood shack!
Good luck on Norman!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I fished with Mr. Gerald Beck. Trust me when I tell you that man knows High Rock as well as anyone alive. I had a blast fishing with him, even though we didn't exactly load the boat. Wished that we could have done it again on Sunday.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I fished with Mr. Gerald Beck. Trust me when I tell you that man knows High Rock as well as anyone alive. I had a blast fishing with him, even though we didn't exactly load the boat. Wished that we could have done it again on Sunday.
Gerald Beck, David Wright, and David Fritts. 3 guys that have figured out the code to High Rock. Local legends for sure..

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Glad you survived. I thought last weeks peidmont tournament would be a good one for me but it didnt turn out that way, like you I was happy to get out with some points. My biggest hurdle this season will be the next one at Falls... I like and do well at Falls nine months out of the year, July is not in those 9.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I fished it and managed to get a check with 4 fish. I got lucky and caught a couple of big ones. I used to really like that lake but not so much anymore. I found a lot of fish suspended but they wouldn't bite.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you survived. I thought last weeks peidmont tournament would be a good one for me but it didnt turn out that way, like you I was happy to get out with some points. My biggest hurdle this season will be the next one at Falls... I like and do well at Falls nine months out of the year, July is not in those 9.
I hope you have a better July this year! Our next is Norman in September. I think that will be OK.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What won it ---- lot of nice high dollar Bass boats running skinny water on the river end Saturday ---

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They've had a lot of pressure on them lately...two BFL tourneys and a host of local tourneys...that will make anything run to hide! haha

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Tell ya what's weird. First tourney there me and my cousin won. I had a seven and a five. Since then, it sucks for me on tourney days. I can go to Flat Swamp and do ok, but leave there, and I'm lost..But, as long as Badin has water in it, I am fine.lol
As long as RRR is open, and HPCL still smokes for me occasionally, life's grand.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really like Badin a ton! It's one of the beet bass lakes I have ever fished and I always look forward to time there. I still have to learn this High Rock thing. It's more of a necessity so my overall tourney fishing will get better.

I have always fished deeper lakes and there is definitely something to be said about differences in deep and shallow lakes.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
There was a time in my life when I "just had to learn High Rock" myself. But, there are so many variables there. Water clarity and levels. Fish shallow when they should in common logic, be deep, and vice versa. It's like rolling dice there all the time. I know there are three or four fish there, and they take turns biting. Fished a tourney in May at Badin, and we smoked 'em. Won going away. Like I said, I know many good fishing holes, and none of them say "High Rock"...lol But I do wish you all the best in your endeavors there. Maybe you have more patience than I do. I guess when one has been married 36 years like me, it's always better to say when she asks, "Ya catch anything?" Say "yeah, got 20 today", rather than say, "Got a couple dinky fish."

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, the only thing that makes me "have" to fish High Rock is the BFL. Also the challenge, I suppose. I'm 50 now and have avoided those types of lakes like the plague. I wish it had been different growing up, but that's how it is. Even then, I'm only hitting it when a tourney is upcoming. If I want to catch a ton of bass, I go to Norman or Badin and have a blast.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts