NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Travis and I fished High Rock today in preparation for the "Big Bass Bash" next weekend. Might as well have stayed home....:confused:
I caught two fish on the c rig uv speedcraw, not a peck on anything else. One was a nice three pound fish. Travis got no bites at all. Very frustrating day. I guess after the last two weeks, slaying them at RRR and Badin, I just got spoiled or complacent. Either way, I better get it together, and figure out a way to get that one big bite.
We talked to a few others, and no one was getting bit.
Said it before, and will say it again..
High Rock sucks.
I would rather fish thirty minutes blindfolded and holding an angry cat in my left hand at Badin than fishing out of a Ranger with all the pleasures of life for two weeks at High Rock.
Still.
I am entered, so gotta figure it out.....:mad:

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Jerry you know as well as anyone at Highrock target nothing shallower than 8 foot and keep the speedcraw on rock bottom or wood!

You will get them figured! I am to understand a senko works well over some of that submerged tomber out there also!

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, Gene, we did that mostly. We threw everything at them. Nothing worked. I hate and despise that lake, and it hates me back, so it's mutual. It loathes me I think because I spend so much time here praising it's little brother lake two bodies of water down.(Badin) lol
And I would like to get the big bite, it's a 3000 dollar bite..lol

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I was there yesterday. I picked my boat up from Sunset Marine in Lexington so I didnt get on the water until 9:30 and had a buddy meet me at Southmont. We fished 9:30 to 4:30 and caught a quite a few off the docks, biggest was 3 lbs. I think as the bigger fish recover from the spawn, they will move back to the docks.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol. I got a plan at last. Whether it works or not is to be seen. There is a certain creek that has some humps and stumps near the entrance. When the horn sounds to start at six, we'll be sitting there.
Me and the Carolina rigged Speedcraw and the Sexy shad ff shad 1/2 oz model will be waiting for 'em, like a spider waiting on a fly!

A famous sage once said, quote, "You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
I'm bringing the chute this time!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
There is a certain creek.... where they let all the fish go after they have the tournaments.... and this time of year.... There are lot of tournaments going on at HR. Might want to try there.

HR has always been feast or famine in just about anything you fish for. It is the second largest lake in NC and probably has the most fishing pressure. There are so MANY places to they could be. You either choose the right place or you usually can't get it turned around by the end of the day.

Personally, I would only fish 2 creeks in the entire lake for Bass. Just two. Early morning for one and mid to late afternoon for the other. It doesn't take too much to figure out which two they are. :D

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know them well. Used to deliver in Lexington to a gentleman named Fritts, lol. He told a bit about his lake..lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
I learned to crankbait from David but the big bass bash will be fun I know a bunch of regulars fishing it...the bass fishing is pretty good Rt now...last week they pulled water down almost three feet and the fish moved deeper but then the lake rose over weekend and are abundant on piers...I expect the bigger fish to come off the deepest piers or points...just my two cents

·
Registered
88 Posts
Someone told me they haven't went deep yet. The majority of the fish are still on the bank. It's only a matter of time before they go deep. They down pull current like they used to. I think that's what caused all those fish to die a few years ago. No oxeygene in the water.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I learned to crankbait from David but the big bass bash will be fun I know a bunch of regulars fishing it...the bass fishing is pretty good Rt now...last week they pulled water down almost three feet and the fish moved deeper but then the lake rose over weekend and are abundant on piers...I expect the bigger fish to come off the deepest piers or points...just my two cents
Last Sunday we fished basically from the bank to 12 feet. I caught two fish. It's the boys like Fritts that grew up fishing there that worry me, but it's only ONE big fish. I believe I can get one..lol
I know some guys that fish every tourney there is on High Rock, and they are darn good fishermen.
On High Rock..
We tried to get them to fish club events on other lakes to no avail.
Mention Badin or Tuckertown and they stare blankly into space, and start whistling show tunes.
High Rock is a different animal, and I gotta figure out a way to tame the beast.
I do appreciate the input very much!

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And, my cousins just called and they were there today. Caught 12 bass, all on deep points and boat docks, to lend credence to what hrlhustler said! Big fish was three pounds on a Poe's crankbait. I know High Rock has this crankbait lake rep, and my two biggest ever there, a pair of seven pounders came on cranks. But to be frank, I do not want to spend all day cranking. Gonna flip docks at least some of the time, and chunk that speedcraw on a c rig.

Anyway, ponder this:
They say kids in the back seat cause accidents.
I say accidents in the back seat causes kids.

If all is not lost, then where is it????

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
if ya figure anything out, please share...I have a BFL at the end of the month on High Rock and it has not been very good to me in the past so far...

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm debating on fishing the bash Sunday we went yesterday evening and this am caught plenty of fish on docks but size was an issue...fished done points and high spots and managed better quality...all tho the big fish was slightly short of 35 lbs...(sorry had to cool off noodled a ramp)...good luck everyone Sunday

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Funny you mention noddling. I saw two guys last week doing it, first time I had ever seen it done in person. Wish I could have seen them pull out a big flathead.

·
Red X Angler
3,766 Posts
When my wife and I were at Kerr Scott and were cooling off in the water, at one point I got bored floating and grabbed my bait caster... was casting while sitting on a pool noodle. Does that count as noodling? I think it should, personally.
Water Sky Lake Cloud Tree Water Liquid Fluid Outdoor recreation Lake

Just sayin.

Hope you guys had some luck, Jerry. I have not been motivated to bass fish there myself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Somebody please post what won the Bass Bash and a few details --- I live on the lake, just curious ---

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think it was around five and a half pounds, last word we got. I lost a good one early, then no keepers the rest of the day. I hate that sewer.
Never going back. What's the use? I can use my tactics and catch fish everywhere else. I just cannot figure them out there at High Suck, and refuse to waste any more time on that over rated carp pond..lol
If you like it, and can catch fish there, more power to ya.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts