NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can't seem to get any flatheads to bite. several channels on cut bait and livers or crawlers. fishing in abbotts creek. maybe have to use some tnt next time.

but i guess i can't complain about taking the boat out for a spin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's tough fishing this time of year on the Rock. My buddy said he hooked his biggest so far this on Sat but leader broke. ( he fishes for flathead's about 4-5 times a week) This time of year it is hard to get any bait to live below 8' unless there has been a good amount rain. One thing I have learned at High Rock is if the bait won't live at a depth the biting flathead are always shallower. They are spread out this time of year and the bite is sporadic. Just curious ... do you keep all of the flatheads you catch to eat?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't care to eat catfish from high rock. i fish for the fight. i enjoy being on the water ot nightand taking it easy, catfishing just seems to fit in!:)

i can't say that i have ever eaten flathead cats before, but i have tried blues( ccaught at santee) and channels, but didn't really care ffor them either. could have been the chef...i will try them again.

favorites to eat......red fish, stripped bass, sea trout, rainbow trout, crappie, snapper, flounder, talapia (sp), but not in that order. can't say i have a favorite.as long as it's fried!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good to hear that you don't eat to many. Although you might want to try 1 from some cleaner water ( they are much better than channels or blues). Most people eat every flathead they catch because size doesn't seem change the taste. The down side to 'keeping them all' is that the larger fish can be in the range of 20 to 30 years old. I would hate to give up fighting a forty lb'er in the fall for a few meals. Just a tip on what my buddy is doing now in Abbot's creek - look for ditches from deeper water of 10 to 12 feet that get closer to shore and spread some live bream and cut shad. Fish the ditch and adjacent shallow water. Bite seems to be best with cooler water flowing - right after rain but before water gets to dingy. Good luck and I will see ya there in Sept. when the water cools.

Favorites to eat:) Stripper, Trout, Crappie, Sea Trout, Flouder

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.