NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't posted in awhile but I wanted to give a short report on high rock. Fished it for a few hours this morning, before the storms, and was overall happy with the results. The water was a beautiful green, 81ish degrees, and appeared near full pool. I putt the trolling motor on high and ran down and in between docks, looking for brush with a black buzz bait . In a short amount of time I had put several 14-16 inch fish in the boat and lost a toad. that bite did seem to fade And I made a change to a square bill and shaky head, both produced fish in the 3ish pond range. Unfortunately my day was cut short by the lighting show, but all in all I'm glad I went. Btw I found huge number/pods of bait fish in the small cuts of the main lake

·
Registered
624 Posts
Good to hear. I'll be down there this weekend. My in-laws have a trailer at one of the rented lots on the lake front. Have you heard anything about the crappie bite? What they are chasing?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really don't know anything bout the crappie bite. I know high rock is spouse to have a good population but I've never targeted them. I hardly ever fish high rock but I know a few of these guys are regulars out there, hopefully they can steer u in a good direction

·
Registered
624 Posts
The population is good and generally we've had good luck there in the past on the crappie and white bass. I'd personally like to try to chase some bass but my in-laws like to crappie fish. Either way as long as I have a line in the water I'm happy but i'll be taking a bass rod and a spinning rig for catfish too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The crappie population is through the roof right now! That being said the population is averaging about 5-6" and there are very few keepers around. Get on some brush and you'll find the fish.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yesterday was one of those mystic days on the Rock trav888 - I left out about 7:30 with a mug of coffee and had a blast too - and I'm sure I was on a different area of the lake -- caught several nice ones, numerous small ones and lost a couple on light tackle, till the storm hit - had to run for the house ---- all on Jerry's Speedcraw T rigged, dark colors with green flecks worked best ---- Thanks Jerry Condrey for the tip on those, wish every Bass fisherman could experience a morning like this on High Rock ---- It does happen ---

·
Registered
236 Posts
high rock with the cooler weather has turned on you can catch fish anyway you like whether that is flipping piers throwing cranks on rip rap or pts/high spots... a pretty good topwater bite has been going on for the past few days esp first thing in the am and last hr of daylight... fish upriver were right on the bank harrassed them with sb crank, chatterbait, sweet beaver, and pig and jig... now about the crappie find brush anywhere from 8 to 15 ft and fish em with jigs catch a ton of 7 3/4 in fish... the lil shad are absolutely everywhere and in certain areas of the lake the stripers white bass and white perch have been schooling on top... get out there while the getting is good fellas...

·
Registered
624 Posts
We went out for about an hour and a half Saturday evening. We cought 14 crappie, 8 of which were keepers (barely, at 8.5"). Tossed them all back because we were fishing for fun that evening and didn't really feel like cleaning any. There are keepers out there but they are not as prevalent right now. All fish were caught while drifing minnows that we picked up at Hill's. (Love that place)

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Now we know why red shad colored worms work so well.
You shush. No one uses red shad.

Food Fish Seafood Staple food Ray-finned fish

The picture doesn't really do justice to the crimson coloring of this lobster sized craw I pulled from this fish's throat in a county lake in the triangle a few years ago. Red shad? pfft. Terrible.

ps- the fish was released in good condition, just hungry.

·
Registered
42 Posts
SurfRider ---- I would hope it was in his throat tail first --- The one in my picture was over 5" long, I kept it and a smaller 3" one my son caught in a jar for a day, observed and compared, I can see how easy the smaller one would be to ingest but when you look the big one in the eye, there's a lot of stuff that has to fold if he goes in from the pincher end ---- by the way the smaller ones are not that color, when I released them I watched, the smaller one darted out to deeper water, the big one walked the edge in about 3" of water till he saw cover, then went under it, the reason he's Big ----- the bass are hitting pretty good on this end, don't let the rain slow you down ----- the lakes down 3', but risin -----

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.