NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys let me first assure you that I'm not looking to move in on your secret spot. We (about 4-6 guys) will be the area of north High Rock one a Saturday mid-Sept. I don't know that area at all (we're all from Raleigh). Where is a good place to put-in (small boats) and or do some bank fishing. Looking for a state park or wildlife ramp or whatever. Thanks for helping an eastener.
Glenn

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
When I go to High Rock, I usually launch at the Southmont boat ramp. Though Flat Swamp or Dutch Second would also be fine and are free. When I go to High Rock from Cary I take Hwy 64 west to Asheboro and hit 49 south to 47 into Denton, then Flat swamp rd to Hwy 8, takes me about an hour and 45 minutes with a quick stop for breakfast and gas.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Southmont ramp on Hwy 8 and Flat Swamp ramp are the two I like the best. The Flat Swamp ramp is actually called (I think) "Buddle Creek Access" so if you see that, it's the same thing. Either of those will put you into some good areas to fish this time of year. There are probably launches further North on the lake, but those are the two I have used. I know very little about catching bass at High Rock, only been a few times, seems like feast or famine out there for bass. Some nice fish in it, though! Good luck.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You mentioned north High rock area? The river section has a boat ramp called york hill...that is where you can access the river/potholes/log jams....also a quicker route to potts creek...all the aforementioned ramps will work fine but they are all mid lake (Southmont access, buddle creek which is in abbotts creek mid way back, and second creek which is on the rowan side of the lake near the marina) or lower end (which is flat swamp wildlife put in)...what exactly are you planning on fishing for???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We'll be a motley crew. Everything from a serious bass fisherman to, "anything live on the line is a thrill". I'm zeroing in on Southmont. Looks like there could be some bank fishing there?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Buddle is in Abbots creek, not Flat Swamp. It's off of Holloway Church road. Little further down is the wildlife landing off 8. The York Hill landing is off I-85, but I have never used it. Looks like easy way to access the river. Just find a place and start fishing. I can't tell you how to catch fish there though. Lord knows I surely can't catch them!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I sitemailed you info about a good bankfishing area near where you are searching, with nearby boat launches

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Buddle is in Abbots creek, not Flat Swamp. It's off of Holloway Church road. Little further down is the wildlife landing off 8. The York Hill landing is off I-85, but I have never used it.
I stand corrected, I thought it was Flat Swamp but they are right, Buddle Creek is the back of a trib of Abbott's Creek. My bad. Flat Swamp ramp is by Hwy 8 where it goes across the Flat Swamp arm. That would be way down on the lower end.

Reactions: meenyt

·
Registered
876 Posts
Quite alright. Wasn't trying to be a smartie. I fished there for years before I even knew where Buddle was at, lol.
I stand corrected, I thought it was Flat Swamp but they are right, Buddle Creek is the back of a trib of Abbott's Creek. My bad. Flat Swamp ramp is by Hwy 8 where it goes across the Flat Swamp arm. That would be way down on the lower end.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.