NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be bass fishing High Rock lake for 2 or 3 days early next week. I have never fished there before and any suggestions and info would be appreciated. Also and campgrounds/ places to stay with tent camping that has lake access and an area to dock a boat so I can just leave it in water overnight? Thanks.

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
Wish I could help you. High Rock can be an enigma; some love it, some hate it. The little bit I've fished there, I have liked Abbott's Creek and Flat Swamp Creek. This time of year, I would guess points and perhaps deeper drop banks with rock, but I really don't have the experience out there to help you with. Send a PM to hrlhustler, perhaps? I'll bump your post, hope you get some responses and good luck to you!

Reactions: Fish_Fiend

·
Registered
236 Posts
bass on high rock are readily available you can chunk crigs cranks jigs deep if thats your thing or you can flip piers and always catch fish...personally my last three outings fri/sat/sun we threw topwater all day...friday after work we put 15 in the boat in 2.5 hrs no giants but all on topwater...fish ranging from 1lb to 4.5 lb... pop r and black buzzbait...now for the camping thats a tough question personally id put in at abbotts creek and just go camp on one of the islands either at second creek or blacks bottom...people camp out there regularly

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
High Rock seems to always have some shallow fish and it is know for an offshore bite at times too. Tamarac Marina has a campground and boat ramp. Pretty sure you could leave your boat beached in the cove next to the marina.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fish should be fairly shallow. Matter of fact I don't think they ever went deep this year. Used to be they would come up shallow this time of year because of the oxygen level in the water.

·
Registered
236 Posts
the majority of bass at high rock are shallow...on high rock there is a proven way to catch bass and thats to flip piers since there is such an abundance of them...the key is hitting number of piers...some are better than others...you can hit ten piers not have a hit and hit the next one and catch 2 or more...once you realize what kind of piling depth (brush) or type of water there in you can use that pattern all over the lake... i tend to stay on the upper end of the lake swearing crow crane creeks... you can join the chaos of boats around tamarac and generally pull a few out...but with this weather coming youll catch me out in the downpour chuncking a black buzzbait and popr....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I will definitely be going back and fishing it again, and will put some of this advice to work. We went down Monday night and camped at Tamarac Marina (only place on the lake I could find tent camping). We got up early and fished Tuesday morning and sorta had a strong start around that area of the lake catching 3 and then it just seemed to die. Chatterbaits and buzzbaits were what we got our hits on that morning. We got hot and lazy so we quit for the rest of the day and got back in the water to fish the last hour before dark and only caught one. The next day we got up early and fished again, and I was expected a better day. I was thinking I had something going for me with the buzzbaits the day before, so that is what i started with. NOTHING. We could not believe it. We fished until about 2 and had only a couple bites all day. We threw cranks, jigs, buzzbaits, chatterbaits, and soft plastics. Fished shallow most of the time, but got discouraged and even fished deeper and off humps and still couldnt produce a fish. Even had 3 people fishing off the boat from around 9:30 till 2. We had been fishing and went to the marina to get gas, and some guy from raleigh was there waiting on a guide that didnt show. He had already paid him upfront for bass fishing. We told him we were not doing any good but if he wanted he could join us for a few hours since he had drove 2 hours to get there. He joined us and was a very nice guy. Still didnt do any better. But he gave me $25 for letting him fish with us. We felt bad for the guy. Wished we could have put him on some fish. Anyway, I will try and post some pics later. What I have learned from yalls comments, is that we should have fished more docks and covered more water. I thought about going up lake but decided not to, since we didnt know the lake at all. I think I will try to go back when the weather starts cooling off some. Thanks guys. Good luck fishing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts