NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be heading to Hilton Head April 5-12 with the family. We're staying on the North half of the Island near Folly Field (between Port Royal & Palmetto Dunes). I will have a vehicle. If anyone has any fishing reports or suggestions for shore or pier fishing (can't fit a charter in the budget), please share. If you're looking for someone to share the beach and a few stories with...that may be a possibility.

I'll be buying a surf rod at Cabelas on the way down and will have a lighter pole too. I was there several years ago in August and there were some small blacktips there (I know targeting sharks isn't allowed...but who's to keep'em from biting my drum bait?). ;) I'm a little more studied up & prepared this time and hope to catch something more that the little croaker I had last time...though he'd probably make for some decent bait. :D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I think the big trick around Hilton head is actually finding water access.....

Reactions: Scott Hobbs

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The resort I'm at is right on the ocean. I believe there is a public access right by there as well. During the day it was packed with people and tough to fish, but morning & evening were pretty clear. I'm on a different part of the island this time around. I was farther south last time and stayed in a hotel on the ocean.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Just get there early before th crowds and fish until they start showing, pack up and get some good rest and a nap. That evening when the crowd goes home, go back and fish nice and rested.:cool: On into the summer you have to play the crowds a little to get in some good fishing.

Fresh shrimp for bottom feeding fish like sea mullets, and then cut some up for maybe a drum.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Scott!
It'll be nice relaxing...and catching anything that'll bite. Would be nice to catch a good drum. I caught a nice red (too big) there on a party boat last time...reminded me of salmon fishing. I'm hoping to enjoy several sunrises and sunsets with a rod in hand while I'm there.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Elrod,
I was looking for info last year about this time and this is what I found. Good luck,
Rx $

Best Bait Shop & Info was - call them for local info
Beaufort Boat & Dock Supply
1734 Ribaut Road
Port Royal, SC 29935
[email protected]

Websites w/ info and fishing reports....
beaufort hilton head fishing and hunting reports
Beaufort South Carolina Fishing Charters
CCA South Carolina
COOL SITES
Hilton Head Fishing, Saltwater Fishing, Deep-Sea Fishing, Fishing Charter, Fishing Tours, Offshore Fishing, Sportfishing, Flyfishing, Beaufort, Island, Lowcountry
Hilton Head Island Fishing Charters, Hilton Head Isle Deep Sea Fishing
Beaufort South Carolina Fishing Lowcountry Guide Service
Latest Fishing Report

PS: Best place on HH Island for bait and local info is probably Boaters World.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, here's my report.

I stopped at Cabela's on the way down and bought my 10' SaltStriker rod & Okuma Epixor EB65. It seems like a decent setup. A little heavier than I'm used to and more than I needed there at Hilton Head this time of year. I think it will be more appropriate in Hatteras this Summer though. It was nice to get some practice casting. I had some troubles, but got better with time.

I went fishing from the Pinckney Island boat launch pier with my light tackle. I just tipped a #4 hook on a carolina rig with some cut shrimp. I caught several small whiting, croakers and sea bass as well as a skate & a blue crab. Some others on the pier were catching skate, a small bonnethead shark, an eel or ladyfish...snakelike looking fish whatever it was. I took my daughter one day but it was less windy and the noo-see-ums were terrible. I wasn't prepared for them because the day before had been too breezy for them.

I did spend another couple hours at low-incoming tide at another boat launch where I heard the fishing was really good (Colleton perhaps), but the current was very strong and I couldn't hold bottom and I kept having my shrimp robbed. It was a beautiful morning though....nice to be out there. After a poor report from a couple people, I decided to try the beach at Hilton Head anyway (North end between Palmetto Dunes and Port Royal). Sunrise at low tide I had lots of bites, hoping for an early drum, blacktim, or something of decent size, I used cut squid on 3/0 circle hooks and a puppy drum rig. I had lots of bites for the first couple hours of incoming tide and managed to bring in a nice sized whiting (which I fried up for lunch - excellent taste!) & a skate which I promptly returned to steal someone else's bait. I figure the whiting were robbing my hooks because they were too big for them. I was surprised to hook the whiting I did on that size hook. The surf was very calm.

I tried fishing with the lighter pole too, but the large pole was bouncing so often with bites it wouldn't let me keep the other one in the water. Overall it would have been nice to be out more. The mornings & evenings were quiet enough to fish...but the daytime there were way too many people there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.