NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out yesterday to 370. Tried some trolling with crystal minnows DD and clarkspoons. No luck trolling in the afternoon. Switched to bottom drifting with some bass rigs and flounder rigs. Cut bait was the menu for the bottom. I caught a few sea bass, nothing to bragg about. Then lo & behold, I got a hit like a mack truck. I was using light to medium rod and 30# leader. The fight lasted about 15 seconds and then suddenly nothing? Reeled in the line and the hook was chopped off clean. Dropped in another line with a 50# leader and the same thing again! Hit like no tomorrow and then gone??? Tried some rigs with wire leaders. Got hit a third time! Definitely something of subtantial size. As I started to reel it in, suddenly, and in seconds, I felt the line release. I reeled in the line, and the all hooks were there, but no bait. There are definitely big choppers roaming out there, and I'm sure thats what it was. Unfortunately I wasn't prepared with the right tackle for chopper blues. At this point we decided to head in. Probably when the trolling potential for spanish would have begun to pickup. If I get out again soon, I'm gonna catch me a few of those suckers! Next time I'll be prepared. The pictures will be coming!!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey there Al and Mark, (slowriser) Gary Helms here. Al, it could have been a shark of some type or as you said, choppers. Either way the excitement of the hit and the pull while it lasted are what keeps us going back. Go get him, Big Al. Mark, glad to see you pick back up on the site. I enjoyed talkin to ya last week, even though there wasn't much action on the pier, meeting folks and visiting is a big part of the fun. The wind was so bad that day that you couldn't spit for fear it would hit you in the face, or worse, someone else's.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Big Al, that sounds typical of a barracuda.. those things can be pesky while bottom fishin.

Sevenstrand, 49 strand and Malin wire works well... bad thing about single strand wire is, one kink and the integrity is gone.

Thanx for the report! post up pix.... we like pix! ;)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Big Al I was there too, I only managed a bonita though. I was in the sail boat awkwardly trying to manouver around and fish:D Gotta make the best of what you got right.
Hey taiyofish was that you out there the same day I was there? I was drifting around in the yellow Polar center console. There was also a center console Parker drifting and trolling around the area. That was pretty much it with the exception of a few passerbys. Nice peaceful day on the water. If that was your sailboat that I saw, she looked like a beauty!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big Al, that sounds typical of a barracuda.. those things can be pesky while bottom fishin.

Sevenstrand, 49 strand and Malin wire works well... bad thing about single strand wire is, one kink and the integrity is gone.

Thanx for the report! post up pix.... we like pix! ;)
I sure hope it wasn't barracuda. I have no desire to catch a cuda'. In addition to those ferocious teeth, I heard they stink like h--!! Toothy stinky and ferocious, who needs that??? Here's hoping they were choppers. If there's nothing else around I'll settle for a blue or two.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Talking about piers, I definitely gotta get out to some of the local piers on those non boating days! I'll bet it will be a pleasure to kick back , relax, not worry about boats and snagged rigs. Oh yea, and catch a fish or two!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey Big Al, come on up to Surf City Pier next week. I'll be heading that way early Monday, and probably start fishing around noon. Hopefully the weekend crowd will be heading out of town by then. I'll be on the end with the rest of the "Poor men's big game fishermen" LOL

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Big Al, come on up to Surf City Pier next week. I'll be heading that way early Monday, and probably start fishing around noon. Hopefully the weekend crowd will be heading out of town by then. I'll be on the end with the rest of the "Poor men's big game fishermen" LOL
Thanks for the invite! I just might take you up on it and take a ride out there.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I sure hope it wasn't barracuda. I have no desire to catch a cuda'. In addition to those ferocious teeth, I heard they stink like h--!! Toothy stinky and ferocious, who needs that???.
We've caught enough of them,, and yes.. they do stink... literally...
The one thing though,,, cuda's are good for shark bait.. that's probably about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.