NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a good day today. I'm hoping my slump is fading away. After I became convinced there were a decent number of fish where I set up (and after I had an upper slot fish on the stringer) I decided to experiment with various colors, sounds and retrieval speeds. Out of the five drum I landed four were top water. Each of those four were on different colors and a few were different pitch rattles. I also varied the retrieve from my habitual quick twitch to a wider and slightly slower "walk". I have to eat my words I spoke in another thread because the slow/wide retrieval seemed to do just as well as the one I always use. Far from a scientific study but good enough to make me feel the retrieve doesn't matter so long as the plug is moving. One thing I'll say for me personally is the the twitch I use takes less effort and seems to keep the line laid down on the spool better. That's just me though.
There is one photo with two drum in the net. This same thing happened to me last year. I got the first fish which was the smaller one on top and netted it. I was staring at it trying to decide if I should put it on the stringer or gamble on getting another larger one. I had a dead stick out with a pin fish on a Carolina rig and while I was pondering my dinner choices it took off. Turned out to be the biggest one of the day at 25" and getting it into the already occupied net was a lot of fun. Getting the two fish out wasn't too bad but I'm so glad that I crush the barbs on the hooks because they would have been a total pain to get out of the net otherwise. A couple of other interesting things I took notice of were that all the fish I caught were males??? They all made the drum sound and they all were much more copper color than "normal". Really pretty fish. I read that the males make this color change during spawning so I guess that's what they are up to. I lost as many as I landed but I only lost one other on top. The others I lost with the dead stick and I can attribute that to using a hook that was too small. I had a #1 circle hook on the bottom because I only had some small pin fish and some small shrimp. I've read a lot from people that swear that pin fish are the best live bait for red drum but until today I have never gotten a single drum using pin fish. I will use them again on the dead stick when I can. Lastly the most interesting thing I noticed was what was in the stomach of the drum I kept. It had the same thing that one I cleaned a couple of days ago had in it which was a mud crab. Not a fiddler but the crab with the large bulky claws. This tells me they are feeding of the bottom. My dead stick got rung up every time I had it out until I ran out of bait. My last little shrimp got eaten by a 6" pin fish. I put that thing on a popping cork and clipped it's tail plus put a gash in its back. I was so sure I huge drum was going to eat it but the tide went slack so I headed in. uploadfromtaptalk1408319819059.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I messed up. The first picture is from a different day. Others are today.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Nice going on the redsssssssssssss, :cool:

I'll be down tomorrow till Tuesday sometime. May have to hit a corner I just happen to know about for land bound anglers...:)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Great report. That's a phenomenal day. I know you hope that is your "regular" fishing trip, but folks would pay big money for that to be their guided/vacation kayaking trip.

I'm jealous, in a big slump right now. Glad to see someone busy out of theirs

·
Registered
502 Posts
One other thing, I'd recommend a rubber net . Maybe you have a specific reason for not using one but I got one after a striper wrapped my net up to the point I had to cut it free. It was a good purchase.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a rubber net but I really don't like it. It is very heavy and, on a kayak, every pound counts. They are better for the fish than the nylon one like I have but I am very careful and I don't lift fish I am going to release out of the water. I just use it as a, "holding pen" if you will. I was actually debating taking only a lip grip out and no net. I'm glad I decided to keep the net now.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Gotcha. I understand the weight considerations on a kayak. My rubber net has been a godsend for me fishing solo , but I understand everyone isn't the same. Great day fishing .

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's not what your topwater lure said!
That's true. I guess what I should have added was that if I was using live or fresh bait on or near the bottom I would have caught even more. Just making an observation more than anything. I'd like to take 1/2 of a giant blue claw and stick it on a hook and let it soak. Maybe the bigger fish would eat it. The largest one I caught was on the baited hook so maybe they are harder to trick on top?? I'd have to put it on a larger rig though. Reeling in that 25" drum made the top grip on my 6' ugly noodle come loose so anything larger might make it turn into dust and vanish poof! There I would be trying to reel something in with just the reel.
I see these guys with their huge old drum and I envy them. I have to try and find out if there are any of those around here. What a fight one of them must be.
Forgot to add. I think the crabs are called "stone crabs". Some people catch them and remove one claw to eat or so I'm told.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Mud crabs, mole crabs, and mullet on top--redfish eat em all

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Your chartreuse zara spook reminds me of the other day I saw a boat in New Bern on a trailer with like 5 rods and every single one of the rods had a chartreuse zara spook on it. I mean isn't the point of 5 rods to be able to throw 5 different baits without tyin on a new lure every 5 minutes?? Nope, 5 Chartreuse Zara Spooks lol.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your chartreuse zara spook reminds me of the other day I saw a boat in New Bern on a trailer with like 5 rods and every single one of the rods had a chartreuse zara spook on it. I mean isn't the point of 5 rods to be able to throw 5 different baits without tyin on a new lure every 5 minutes?? Nope, 5 Chartreuse Zara Spooks lol.
I was trying to throw everything to see if color makes any difference. I got that one for $2.00 at a local shop in their discount bin. It's a snazzy color and matched the socks I was wearing that day which is also quite important needless to say.
I can't image 5 other people bought this plug! Having all five rods with the same plug makes no sense to me but whatever floats your boat. I'm certainly not qualified to give fishing advice to anyone and who knows, that guy might have 20 citation fish. I can count my citation fish on no hands.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
It makes perfect sense to me. I probably have 10-15 chartreuse Zara spooks. Walmart runs them on sale for $2 and sometime $1 a piece. They catch fish just fine. He was likely fishing the stumps around the Bern for stripers and drum. Top water is the only way to go right now. Yeah you could catch on other stuff but why?

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
But you don't lose that many topwaters do you? I mean to lose that many baits when you could probably just go get them could almost be considered littering ha ha. Now if he has 5 guys on his boat and that's the hot bait I can understand.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Get on a school up upper slot drum around those stumps and it's not uncommon to break a fish or two off. Instead of re tying grab another rod and keep fishing. If you cast and snag a stump break off and grab another rod rather than go in and spook the fish. Get it back when you're done fishing that spot.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
​or the boat with the 5 of the same colors was a guide boat going to get on fish with clients and had on what the fish were eating best ;)

Reactions: RouseD
1 - 20 of 33 Posts