NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
i was at hiwassee earlier this year on vacation -- took my kayak and fished. i asked around quite a bit about stripers. although the state record freshwater striper was caught there, apparently the lake is not technically stocked and the locals i talked to said there was not a real fish-able population (but perhaps they didn't want to share their secrets with an outsider?!). the stripers there have escaped from a lake upstream in georgia (forget name). i did catch both smallmouth and largemouth bass. but the water was down 30-40 ft at that time and extremely clear. i'm guessing the lake levels are down even more now. caught most of the fish at or just after dawn.
just fyi -- joel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, I'm new here and I'm here to tell you it's hard to find any info on Hiwassee reservior. I fish it alot, considering I live only 20 mins away from the Mickens Branch put in. I haven't seen any stripers caught from there but I believe if you do they will be huge! :) I catch quite a few largemouth and spots as well as smallies there. I was there last week and the lake is down approx 50 feet. So alot of the structure you fish is gonna be rock. Although there are still a lot of stumps visible. I'm trying to take advantage of the low water to find key areas when the lake fills up again. (if ever) Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Crappieslayer....I haven't seen any stripers caught.....But I'm lookin hard for some schoolin activity now that the water has turned cold.
The smallmouth are hitting....most have come from steep rock bluffs. Caught them on jerkbaits and finese worms.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same story for the musky....I've heard of a few large muskie being caught....1 just last fall. If you catch one it'll be an accident. Don't know of anyone who actually targets them. I was there just this past saturday and caught largemouth, spots and smallmouth. All came on a jerkbait except for 1 spot on a dropshot. I also fish Nottley and Chatuge upstream in Ga. Lots of stripers in Nottley as well as hybrids. There have also been Walleye stocked in Hiwassee in the past, but the population is unknown.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
NCWRC apparently stocked 30,000 walleye fingerlings into Hiwassee this year to supplement the population.

Should be good walleye fishing down the road.

Thanks for the info on the musky. Looks like a few made it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, I heard they did. The problem last time with the walleye stocking program was also the introduction of blue herring which also came from upstream. The competition for the same food didn't fair so well for the walleye. But I heard the new stocking of walleye would be of a larger than fingerling size. Maybe this time it will fair better for the walleye.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.