NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are kayakers out there, and this question is for them. I'm thinking about purchasing Hobie Cat's Mirage Pro Angler 12, a kayak that contains a pedal drive and is steered with a rudder. I fish in saltwater sloughs, on the Intracoastal Waterway, and in Beaufort Inlet. Supposedly the Pro Angler is stable enough to stand in, at least on flat water. But does anyone have experience using it on the slightly rougher waters of, say, Newport River, the Neuse, Taylor's Creek, off of Harker's Island, or in the Beaufort Inlet, where the water can become pretty rough? How about out at the Shack or at Cape Lookout?

That particular kayak comes at a price somewhat north of trifling, so I'd like to hear from anyone who has personal knowledge it of or experience with it before I plunk down the $$$ for it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Didn't know about that forum. I'll post there as well. I know one of the moderators of this forum is a kayak fisherman because the other day he spoke with a friend of mine, who was also in a kayak, while in a creek behind my house; he directed him to this forum. That made me think there might be other kayakers here as well.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We are glad to have you. Tell Lester (if I remember correctly) I said Hello as well and ask him why he hasn't joined yet ;)

I can't provide any personal insight on the Hobie PA, but do know that it is liked by those that have them. I'm fishing from a Tarpon 140 and an Ultimate 14.5. The Tarpon handles the big water really well. Was actually out in Pamlico Sound today in the 20-25 mph NE wind we are experiencing. Here's a picture of a friend, he is in a Mariner Propel. I felt perfectly safe and sound in my Tarpon

Sky Water Cloud Boat Watercraft

Here is a pic of me in the Tarpon again out in the sound. This was yesterday Water Boat Vertebrate Sky Watercraft

The Hobie Revolution handles it too Water Sky Shorts Boat Vertebrate

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Welcome aboard. I moved this thread to the Kayak fishing forum since it isn't really a fishing report. Yes there are quite a few kayak fishermen on here. We encourage members that are kayak fishermen to add the "Kayak Angler" title to their profile and if they do they show up on our Kayak Angler map:

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/maps.php?map=yakermap

For anyone that has joined the site, fishes from a kayak and would like to add the Kayak Angler title to your profile you can learn more about how to do so in the first post of this thread:

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/threads/3659-NC-Kayak-Anglers-group-membership!

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Those last two pics are a somewhat inaccurate picture of normalcy for the Pamlico sound lol but great pics none the less. There are a ton of people who use the Pro Angler kayaks for fishing in the ocean and they love them. They can become a burdensome barge if you plan to fish the marsh with it as it paddles slow and is heavy if its too shallow to use the mirage drive. Another con of the pro angler in the ocean is if you capsize it in rough water you are going to have a hard time righting it as it weighs around 100 pounds I believe. The sit on top fishing kayaks out there that are actually designed for rough water fishing are the brand new Wilderness System Thresher 140, Jackson Krakken, or the older Ocean Kayak Trident and Ultra series.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried adding the kayak angler title at first, but I had a hard time signing in because I allowed 1Password to log in info for me the first time. It took me about 4 tries before I finally got in, and by that time I wasn't too particular about the details. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, thanks! I thought the Hobie was the only one that provided the pedals. I'll look up the Tarpon and see what they cost. Can't be any more than the Hobies, right?

And, yes, Lester was his name. Good memory. He usually goes by Les. I'll tell him you're expecting him on the site. :)

It takes a brave man to go out on the Pamlico in a Kayak. It can get pretty rough out there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow. Bunch of information here. Thanks for that info on the shallow water fishing. I plan to do some of that, particularly at the end of my soybean field where the marsh slough can become very shallow at low tide. I'll research the Wilderness Thresher as well. I've got to admit, though, I love the seat in the PA kayak and the idea that you can actually stand if you need to.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
The two pedal manufactures are Hobie and Native. The Tarpon is made my Wilderness Systems. I was just saying that's what I have. If you're dead set on a pedal boat (they are nice and I would love to have one) your best two options are probably the Slayer by Native or the Outback by Hobie. I know the Pro Angler is supposed to be the best Hobie offers , but I've read a lot of diehard Hobie guys say the Outback is a better all around boat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I really like the idea of the pedal propulsion. It frees your hands and obviously your arms don't get as tired if your feet are doing the work. Not that the exercise isn't good for me, but . . .

And, yes, Bell's Creek at low tide becomes completely unnavigable the further up you go, with or without a paddle. When we drop the kayaks in, we're mindful of the tide because we don't want to have to wait for it to come back in before going home.:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Outback was the other one I was considering. I'm not sure that Native has any dealerships local to here. The closest Hobie dealership is in Greenville, which is an hour and half drive. A local fellow has a "gently used" PA up for sale, so that's primarily why I was stuck on that one. I want to give it a test drive before I try it, though. The note about it being a "barge" when you paddle with it and being hard to get back upright if it overturns also gives me some pause. Will also look in to the Tarpon.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
There are plenty of kayaks out there that allow you to stand and fish. You can probably stand in virtually all sit-on-top fishing kayaks if you are nimble and have good balance. The Jackson line is very well known for stability and standing, but they do not offer a pedal drive kayak. The Native Slayer Propel 13 would probably be my choice for a pedal boat. Regarding the seats, most major brands now have models with a high position folding metal frame seats that are very comfortable (not just the Hobie PA).

Definitely try to spend a long day in one before you buy. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Just picked up another Trident 13 at Neuse Sport Shop for my wife. $849.99 At that price your going to have a hard time finding a comparable kayak. It retails for 1099. They have Awesome prices on yaks. They must think they will make their money getting you outfitted.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I work with a lady who has (with her husband) two slayer propels (pedal craft). They say that they paddle just like the slayer (not particularly fast or nimble, but acceptable) paddle version.

If you're looking to pedal and paddle occasionally, you might want to see if you can try that model.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.