NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to Holden Beach in a couple weeks and I'm debating on whether or not to take the Kayak. Is the ICW worth fishing there? I've read some reports where people say the docks are worth hitting. Not sure if that's a time of year thing. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I'd take the kayak. Haven't fished the docks....but I believe a lot of the waterway is "no-wake" so paddling should be relatively calm. There are a good many canals off the waterway to houses and piers that may be worth fishing....and any creeks etc on the mainland side....as well as Lockwood Folly River between Holden and Oak Is. ....and maybe some good spot on the other end of Holden.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I'd take the kayak. Haven't fished the docks....but I believe a lot of the waterway is "no-wake" so paddling should be relatively calm. There are a good many canals off the waterway to houses and piers that may be worth fishing....and any creeks etc on the mainland side....as well as Lockwood Folly River between Holden and Oak Is. ....and maybe some good spot on the other end of Holden.
That is IF people observe the no wake areas. I was in that ICW this past Wednesday trying to get my small boat loaded on the trailer and the icw just behind the ramp looked like a boat race! Three large boats side by side powering right past and almost hitting the no wake bouy. Good luck.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My cousin and I fished that area in September a few years ago, from an Oldtown. The water was fine to paddle, there was lots of bait, but the only thing we could catch was ribbon fish. With the Shalotte and Lockwood Folly being so close I would suggest trying to fish one of the two or both. That section of ICW doesn't seem to be a good place...

·
Registered
575 Posts
I fished the area between the Sunset Harbor landing and Varnum last Sunday and Monday. . Plenty of bait, but nary a strike. Been fishing this area for 40 years (mostly flounder gigging and shrimping in the past). Seems this area is getting worse every year for recreational fishing. On the plus side, I got word from some of my relatives that stayed a bit longer, that a fellow stopped by our pier on the ICW and was catching some NICE sheepshead. Wish I could have stayed and given that a try!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.