NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be traveling from Michigan to the great state of NC the first week in April. Looking to do a little surf fishing.
We have always come about this time of year and I only catch Rays. I have tried squid, Shrimp, & Cut Bait. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions for bait? Any advice would help.

Thanks

Cheeze:)

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Get some live sand fleas or buy the fake ones from C&H Lures. The shrimp should work if the mullet/whiting are around. Some cut mullet will work for blues and reds. Go to a pier and fish jerk jiggers for Spanish. They and the blues will be thick.

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Keep a check on the forums and someone will keep the updates coming on what is biting at the moment. Mullet, blues, drum any thing might be in the surg depending on the weather.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
328 Posts
A common mistake is casting out too far. If you're not already, try fishing right in the breakers close to shore. That's where the whiting/sea mullet are often feeding. Also, be sure to get fresh shrimp from a seafood market, not the frozen stuff from a bait shop. And once you catch your first small fish, cut off a few strips for cut bait.

You may already know all this, but just in case!!! Good luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
So if I throw about 40 to 50 yard out that a good spot to caughts fish? I wonder when anything will be running on the beaches come soon. I wonder is drum is a good eating fish? Are better yet what is good eating fish from the saltwater?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I catch mostly whiting/sea mullet/virginia mullet (same fish, different names). Also catch the occasional spot, flounder, or croaker. All are excellent mild-tasting fish. Sometimes I get onto a streak of bluefish. People say they are oily and fishy tasting, but to me they fry up nicely. Plus they are good fighters. Be sure to check the size and creel limits from NC Div. of Marine Fisheries, and don't forget your saltwater fishing license (available from www.ncwildlilfe.org)!

·
Registered
962 Posts
So if I throw about 40 to 50 yard out that a good spot to caughts fish? I wonder when anything will be running on the beaches come soon. I wonder is drum is a good eating fish? Are better yet what is good eating fish from the saltwater?
Grilled blackened red drum is deeee-licious. Not the easiest to fillet, but then the best things never are. Slot is 18-27 inches- one fish per person per day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.