NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A member of my Triumph Owners Boat website posted this idea for a live well. I thought others might enjoy it here. He is a Catfish and Bass angler from Spotsylvania, VA and he gave me permission to post this.

Well, I decided to enter my first catfish tournament this coming weekend. So, all I needed was a live well to keep the big ones alive until weigh-in so I could then release them.

I ran into Scott Cannon (Big Fish Guide Service) at Deep Bottom Landing last weekend and got some pointers from him. His advice helped tremendously.

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a 750gph Aerator pump ($19.87), 2 alligator clips ($.97) and some flex tubing (don't remember how much that was).

I got an old 150 qt cooler and pulled the drain plug out of it. The aerator pump fits perfectly in the stock drain plug hole. I only had to drill one hole to run the flex tubing through. I then used a soldering iron to burn holes in the tubing to spray the water back into the cooler. The stock drain plug fit perfectly into the end of the flex tube to cap it off. I then used stainless screws to hold the tubing in place.

I'll see how well it holds up to a cat in the cooler. If he rips the flex tubing off I'll probably just switch over to PVC. The only thing I have left is a strainer so no junk gets sucked into the pump. I'm still trying to find that part. All the other parts were on the same shelf at wal-mart.

I'm just going to strap it to the 2 cleats up front for tournaments.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I'm not sure if there is anything on the market that would work for a strainer with his set up but a 3" PVC sewer and drain glue on end cap could be drilled thru the back to fit over the inlet. The hole would have to be drilled off center. Fine mesh stainless screen could then be ty-wrapped in place over the end cap. The only potential problem is if the distance from the end of the threaded fitting exceeds 11/2" as that is the depth of a 3" end cap.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
The "sock" that comes with aquarium filters can be ziptied around the pump or you can use the element material from an AC filter.. I've seen alot of variatons to this design on a catfishing site I am on.....

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Not good for pogies.... you really need a round tank for them Same for herring. Mullet, blues, spots, pinfish and a host of other species it will work for. This system will work just fine yr. round for catfish. There is a small problem with the water getting warmed by the heat of the motor than can really affect some fish. Water needs to be exchanged occasionally just to keep the ammonia levels down anyway. Thirty seconds to open the lid and dip a 2 gallon pail full out and replace it is a small thing. You can use the same system with shrimp by adding a plastic mesh around the perimeter so they have something to hold on to.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
There is the answer to the hydrogen economy. I didn't see anything about not using this product in a closed environment.....????? Anybody know anything about how much hydrogen we are talking about??? It would be nice if you could run a 225 hp outboard off of one of these.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Could you use something like this to keep things like pogies and mullet alive?
Sinker Man hit the nail on the head about needing a round container for pogies or at least an oval one (round corners). The other key to pogies and other fragile baits is water exchange. Most boat that have a built in baitwell use the water exchange method. Some folks add an oxygen generator for extra measure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is cool, I am redoning my Bayliner Trophy 1710, it was a complete gut out. the livewell was trashed. I was trying to figure out the livewell to reinstall or not to? I don't plan on doing a lot of tournement fishing. And I always catch and release. I like the idea of gaining some storage space on a smaller boat. But like knowing I can throw a cooler livewell together for them. Are they legal in most tournements? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
That is a pretty nice setup, my only question is how does he go about filling it?

I wonder if you could make rounded corners out of vinyl sheeting to hold bait fish. I have thought about trying that with the livewell in my bass boat if I ever wanted to keep shad for livebait bass or striper fishing.

Shouldnt have a problem using that setup in a tournament, it is plenty big and has an aerator. It would make it through boat check in a FLW event.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I made a smaller one for keeping shad when I first started striper fishing. I took a 54 qt cooler and cut a 5 gallon bucket in 4's (after cutting bottom out). I then caulked the 4 pieces into the corners of the cooler to "round" them off. I sprayed Great Stuff in behind the plastic corners to keep shad from getting in behind them and dying. I used one of those $21 pumps that suction cups to the bottom and shoots the water staight up where it hits the cap and sprays it back into the water. It also has a filter around the pump which helps in collecting the scales. This system would keep shad alive for a day of fishing, but I couldn't keep them alive overnight without a lot of attention, whick meant being up most of the night.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.