NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pier dweller,
In response to your classified add, I've heard the same thing years ago. I would try using various recycled pen barrels until I found a winner and then try to find that particular one in bulk. The easiest route would be to go thru the pen maker. I have had the same idea for years but planned on using chrome plated lavatory supply lines. One of those coincedences of timing I guess but about a week ago I picked up a piece of 1/2" copper tubing that already had a cap soldered on one end . It was my intention to make one of them for kings but I only got as far as drilling holes for the harness when a fishing buddy came driving up and now it's still laying on the table beside the drill press unfinished. I think an angled face on the head would probably work better but you don't know if you don't try. I have made a homemade Hopkins no equal type lure using copper pipe filled with lead after it was flattened to the approximate shape. I found that to be an easy project but haven't priced a triple chrome plate finish. Thinking about making up a bunch.
Only problem is my tackle boxes are all loaded up with hopkins already. another thing that I know works is take an inspection cover from a conduit elbow and put split rings in the holes, add a hook and go to catching fish. I've used these for blues when they were close in . Drawback is casting distance is pretty lame compared to hopkins or heavy kroc's.
AL

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PIER DWELLER,
FINISHED UP ANCHOR MOLD THIS PM. CAST A COUPLE WITH 20% TIN. THEY WEIGHED IN AT 51/4 OZ BUT I THINK I CAN GO UP TO 5 3/4 WITH OUT CHANGING MOLDS. JUST USE PURE LEAD AND MAX POUR. CAN GO DOWN TO 41/2 OZ NO PROBLEM PROBABLY 4OZ. IF u NEED 6 OR MORE TO GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR ROD CAN DO TOO. LOOKING FOR STAINLESS WIRES TOMMOROW. MY 1389 CAST 6-8 BEST BUT I TOOK OFF ABOUT A FOOT OF TIP AND ABOUT 5'' OFF THE BUTT. She'll hump 8 with the best of them. guides are SiC II hd triple foots. done right but plain. wanted to keep her lean and mean. used to be mated up with a newell p-454 until some ebayers got a little to proud of them p models. Let me know what your rod likes and I'll try to match the wire for 25#.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.