NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find it hard to find jigheads to my liking so I decided to try making some. I like a smaller hook than most 1/8th oz jigheads have but I like them to weigh more than 1/16th to get down into that 15 or so foot range. (Tightlining for various panfish) I'm mostly using very small natural baits so I don't need the jighead to have a collar. I have a few packs of $1.16 panfish hooks from Wal Mart; some size 4 some size 8. I bought some non removable 1/16th oz split shot and some yellow fingernail polish. I bent a 90 into the number 4 hooks and crimped a split shot onto the bend. Painted the hook and added an eye with a sharpie and called it good. They hang horizontal just like a jig should with the bend in the hook. Perfect for minnows, small worms and other secret baits.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just for comparison I bought 14 of these jigheads on ebay for 14 bucks and now I they're about 16 for 14. Tonight I bought 20 hooks for $1.16 and 22 split shot for $1.76. Pack of nail polish that will last forever for 2.70 something. Jigheads you can afford to snag and lose lol. My homemade jigs aren't pretty in comparison but I'll bet they'll do the trick.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
They look great to me. I would think the ones with the 90 deg bend in them that you put into the hook would be Ok, but not sure how strong they will be if a large fish gets on. Fly fishing on line stores, and brick and mortar fly shops, and most likely ebay has the fly jig hooks that are made with the 90 deg bend in them. They would be a lot higher though. Let us know how the ones you bent yourself work out.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I bought some tiny tungsten jig heads and I spooled a reel with 4# flouro. I absolutely hate it for casting now because the line is a little too eager to jump off the reel, but you can feather it to drop it straight down and because the flouro sinks readily and doesn't try to coil I am able to get pretty deep with a fairly light jig. I have been using some nail polish and also using my wife's embossing kit. It is basically the same thing as powder paint for other crafts. Put them in the vice and add a small amount of marabou and/or a few strands of krystal flash and they still have plenty of bare hook for a Gulp waxie.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The tungsten heads I bought go in the other direction; they have more weight on a smaller hook. That's for going after bream; a lot of big ones are eating tiny things, just lots and lots of them. Crappie are definitely more into large portion sizes.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I started pouring my own shakeyhead jigs a few years ago do to the high cost of them in the store, many sell for close to $1.00 each and kind of sketchy quality hooks. I pour my own with Gamakatsu hooks and they cost me about $.21, would be even cheaper if I used lesser quality hooks.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's no way I save money tying jigs.
Making the jigs I did the cost of the hooks and the lead not including the nail polish comes to $.16 per jig. I doubt you can beat that from a store. But yeah getting setup to actually pour jigheads would not be cost effective for the average fisherman.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Making the jigs I did the cost of the hooks and the lead not including the nail polish comes to $.16 per jig. I doubt you can beat that from a store. But yeah getting setup to actually pour jigheads would not be cost effective for the average fisherman.
It is possible to save money; I was just saying there is no way I do when I tie them. My point is that I enjoy catching on something I made so I am not worried about it. I buy the jig heads so I am missing out on the savings there. Between the vise and the hackle pliers and the bobbins and whip finisher and what not, even though I don't have high end equipment I have maybe $100 in that gear. Some of my material is bought in small quantities at the fly shop. Anyway, if all I do is attach a little marabou and flash to a jig and paint the head, my material cost is maybe slightly less that a doll fly. Maybe.
I was not knocking what you are doing, just saying the feeling of making it and have it take fish is part of the attraction for me.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
But yeah getting setup to actually pour jigheads would not be cost effective for the average fisherman.
I have about $100 invested. I have a 10 lb Lees production pot ($60) and paid about $35 for a mold. In reality all you need is a mold, a metal can and a heat source. When I start out with dirty lead I melt it in a soup can placed over a hot fire to clean it up before I use it in my production pot. It melts just fine and you could easily spoon it out into a mold. My setup has probably paid for itself several times since I started pouring around 2006 or 2007.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.