NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been checking out the streamer wallets I've seen around the web for a while, but being broke means all I can do is check them out. I decided yesterday to take a crack at making myself one, so I found a piece of lightweight vegetable tanned leather and got cracking. I cut and folded the leather, then added a snap closure. For fly retention I took part of an old wool sweater I found at Goodwill a long time ago, and stitched that to some scrap fabric that was in my attic.

As you tell, I'm not very handy with the sewing machine. I'll probably replace the wool and fabric down the road some time. For the time being this fabric is just rubber cemented to the leather, because I'm hoping to stumble across some better material somewhere. I also plan to wax the leather real well once I settle on the final product.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Awesome job!!!! If you can find an old foam boat cushion, the foam in some of those are made in separate layers, about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch, that may would work. Other foam may work. Also, sewing velcro strips along the edges may would help with a simple closure. Just some of my wild, unthought out ideas.
Where did you get the leather? I may have some old wallets ( I save too much) that may also work. I need to get to work on some for myself. Thanks for the great idea.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome job!!!! If you can find an old foam boat cushion, the foam in some of those are made in separate layers, about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch, that may would work. Other foam may work. Also, sewing velcro strips along the edges may would help with a simple closure. Just some of my wild, unthought out ideas.
Where did you get the leather? I may have some old wallets ( I save too much) that may also work. I need to get to work on some for myself. Thanks for the great idea.
Thanks! I thought about foam, but I've been less than pleased with using it in the boxes I've made so far. Just doesn't seem to hold all that well. I also thought about a paint roller, but the only ones I had around the house were super cheap and lined with cardboard. I couldn't get the soft material off without tearing it to pieces. I may have to break down and spend a couple of bucks to get something I'll like.

I used to do a little knifesmithing, and the leather was some a person gave me to make a sheath out of. It's too light for a knife sheath, so I sat it aside thinking maybe I'd find a use for it later. Old purses from the Goodwill or trift shop would work well, as long as it's not too soft.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Jonathon, not sure what material is used for the patches on fly vests, but something similar to that should work well. I've only been a fly fisherman for 6 years now, and do almost no stream trout fly fishing. I have used the foam I was talking about in little tin boxes when I tied flies for friends, but really don't know how it would hold up for daily use. Probably would not last a long time. The foam in store bought fly boxes is a lot more dense then the foam I have.
Let us know what works best for you.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It took me a while to find the right material for a liner in this wallet, but I finally stumbled (almost literally) across something in my dad's shed over the weekend. It's a synthetic wool type material he was using to wash cars. He told me to take all I needed, so I cut a small strip off one end and finally got this thing like I wanted. The leather is sealed with hand rubbed bee's wax.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.