NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on ordering some fly hooks. one of the hooks I wanted wasn't available at the place where I wanted to order from. They do have one that is similar but the hook shape is sproat bend instead of a round bend. Doesn't look like a lot of difference to me. Looking input from those who know the difference. The fly I am tying is Crappie Candy. I have been using a Daiichi 1710, std nymph hook, 2X-long, round bend, down eye. I was thinking of trying one of the companies brand hooks just to give it a try. I love the Daiichi hooks.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
For future reference. There is only one or two hook making machines in the world. Brands buy time on the machine.
Another member was at the shop yesterday with some "Chinese hooks" Circle hooks from Ebay.
You couldn't tell the difference between my name brand and his Chinese.

Chinese, American, German, Aussie, they are all coming from the same machine.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not all that familiar with hooks. I do know the Daiichis are super sharp, and I think they contribute to more hook ups for me. Could be there are other hooks that will do just as well, and less costly. I may order some similar hooks from a reputable company that sells lots of other fly fishing equipment and fly tying materials, that will be a bit cheaper, to give them a try.
Thanks for your input Drum Runner.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'd love to read more about this... Taking commercial and recreational fishing in all countries into account, it seems impossible that only 1 or 2 machines could meet the demand for hooks produced by the entire world's economy of anglers.

For future reference. There is only one or two hook making machines in the world. Brands buy time on the machine.
Another member was at the shop yesterday with some "Chinese hooks" Circle hooks from Ebay.
You couldn't tell the difference between my name brand and his Chinese.

Chinese, American, German, Aussie, they are all coming from the same machine.

Also, a brief survey of my limited collection of tying hooks includes hooks made in China, Japan, and the USA...

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Easiest way to find out. Start your own brand of hooks. Horsehead Hooks. You'll find out you have to first get in line and then pay for time on a machine.

The only reason I know this. I l know someone who specified a hook and branded it. Not very easy and pretty expensive considering you don't just have a 1000 hooks made. That is why a lot of rebranding goes on.

Same thing with many products we use. Fishing line is another. You got 300 different fishing line brands. There aren't that many line making machines in the world. There is only a few. Ever wondered what kind of line the store brand is? No doubt it's rebranded line. Stren?

Car batteries. There are only 5 makers of car batteries in the world last I checked. Which means many brands are made in the same factory. The largest car battery maker....Interstate. You probably have an Interstate under the hood labeled Duralast.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I fully understand that the majority of the hook manufacturing is probably done by two or three or a handful of companies and then rebranded and package, etc. I'm just saying there has to be more than two actual machines owned by said companies. You can find videos on YouTube of them in operation, they're not that complicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.