NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Never had one in me. But reared back one time to cast and hooked my friend in the forehead.

That is usually why I wear a hat, sunglasses, and closed toed shoes when fishing.

Worst pain I've ever experienced fishing was being bitten by a bluefish. Now that one hurt.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Had to have one surgically removed from a finger several years ago. I have seen the videos of the line method, and also the push thru method. Let me tell you, I wasn't about to try either one! It was a crankbait with trebles. The barb was completely buried past where it could be seen, and it was right against the bone. No way was I gonna push or pull the darn thing! I cut the hoof off the bait, drove to ramp, loaded boat and drove home. Dropped trailer and headed to urgent care. It had really quit hurting by time I got home. Doc numbed it, and a couple of small incisions and it was out. Kinda cool to watch, AFTER the numbing took hold. Not an episode that I want to replay!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
IMO it's always just a matter of time and chance, and since it'll be an "accident" you don't know when it's gonna happen (by definition!).

That's why part of my essential fishing gear always includes a pair of compound action cutting pliers. Your typical needle-nose pliers will not cut through today's strong steel hooks. This is even more of an issue if you will need to paddle back to your launch with steel embedded in your flesh.

When I'm mixing blues and spanish with treble hooks, I also handle them while wearing a Lindy Glove (hooks can't penetrate fabric).

I'm sure many will consider this overly cautious. But a hook in your hand can ruin a day of fishing quickly.

FWIW // joel

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I think I've gotten stuck past the barb 4 or 5 times over the years -- and only once was I able to push it through and clip off the barbed end like you see in those "textbook" examples. The other times the hook went straight in toward the bone of one of my fingers/thumb -- and there was no pushing it through -- it had to back out the way it went in. That newer technique (use a string/line to snatch it out while press down on the hook) might have worked, but didn't know about it. Video here -- but not for the squeamish: https://youtu.be/06T9c5YMLzA

Sunglasses: I consider sunglasses essential protective gear, not only for light and glare, but also to protect my eyes from hooks. Happens more easily and quickly than some might imagine, e.g., when a fish throws your lure right at the boat with a tight line.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
44 Posts
I done lots but only one that stands out. When I was 12 fishing at OI catching trout on the old trusty jerk jigger baits. The trout jumped out of my hands and the tail treble hook caught the pad part of my index finger and was supporting the fish. My granddad pulled out his pocket knife and I woke up a few minutes later on the way to the CG base (this is when it was located at the foot of the OI bridge). These guys were a great bunch and tried everything even threatened me with a helo ride to the hospital. There was a Cub Scout master who just happened to be in there who was also a doctor. The barb was hooked behind the nerve and he somehow threaded a piece of string behind the barb and got it to release:) Always wanted to tell that story and always wondered how that CG helicopter ride would have been!
I have realized fishing out of a kayak with the fish flopping in your lap, large treble hooks could be a great hazard. Especially fishing alone with a hook in your finger while attached to a large fish and having to paddle. I keep at least 2 pair of good needle nose pliers and a sharp knife handy at all times. I've realized that staying organized is very important in a kayak.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I done lots but only one that stands out. When I was 12 fishing at OI catching trout on the old trusty jerk jigger baits. The trout jumped out of my hands and the tail treble hook caught the pad part of my index finger and was supporting the fish. My granddad pulled out his pocket knife and I woke up a few minutes later on the way to the CG base (this is when it was located at the foot of the OI bridge). These guys were a great bunch and tried everything even threatened me with a helo ride to the hospital. There was a Cub Scout master who just happened to be in there who was also a doctor. The barb was hooked behind the nerve and he somehow threaded a piece of string behind the barb and got it to release:) Always wanted to tell that story and always wondered how that CG helicopter ride would have been!
I have realized fishing out of a kayak with the fish flopping in your lap, large treble hooks could be a great hazard. Especially fishing alone with a hook in your finger while attached to a large fish and having to paddle. I keep at least 2 pair of good needle nose pliers and a sharp knife handy at all times. I've realized that staying organized is very important in a kayak.
Yep which is why if I am working with trebels in the yak I always have my rubber landing net. Not going to put 6 hooks near my lap and risk hooking...well you know.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
It's a matter of when...and that "when" depends on how much you fish.

Jerk baits are my nemesis...and Kelli for that matter. Got a mega bass jerk bait that has two new trebles on it because within three weeks it stuck her in the leg and me in the index finger, both beyond the barb.

They are a bit different animal than the others because the barb is on the outside of the hook, not inside. I just numbed the area with ice and pulled them out, keeping pressure away from the barb.

In all, I've had about 10 get me and I've had to dig a few out of others.

Ice is a BIG plus when doing this! Especially on yourself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Been there a few times. Most were while unhooking a frisky fish and it slipping my grip, once was pulling a crankbait off a stump and for some stupid reason I grabbed at it as it smacked me in the chest. Once was being grabbed in the back of the head , and once in the arm, by a Gotcha plug on a busy pier. I think about that every time I see people letting their small kids wander around the gang tossing plugs when the blues and Spanish are hot..

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.