NC Angler Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I was fishing the Carolina Beach boat basin and hooked a huge sea turtle. Luckily he knocked the hook out because I had no idea what to do. I didn't want to cut line and have the turtle get wrapped up in it. What is the best thing to do if they don't get off on their own?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
carry a de-hooking tool with you... if you can't get it out cut the line as close to the hook as possible...

if a mod could delete this thread that would be fantastic.. already have the comms trying to pass the bill to allow dmf to board us for observation because of turtles, don't need to help them along

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
If your on a pier. DO NOT try to bring it up onto the pier. Doesn't matter if you think you can get the hook out, do not try to bring that thing onto shore or the planks.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Once you know you have a turtle on, by law you are supposed to cut the line. Does that sound like the best way to do it IMO? Nope but I'd rather not get a ticket for harassing a turtle

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't say a thing.
There are already beaches you can't even walk in NC that has a turtle laying an egg about once every 3 miles.
Heaven forbid we start hooking them.
I get what you're saying but it's not like you can control what you can catch when the water is murky and you can't see your bait.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Do what Jack sparrow did, tie a lasso made of your own back hair and ride that puppy around the ocean... seriously though how is this still up?

-James Peavy-

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
I apologize for starting this thread. I just wanted to know what the best thing to do if it ever happened again. Sheesh.
It's a viable question but some things can't be discussed without the flaring of tempers. It's a touchy subject. At least you know what to do now.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I apologize for starting this thread. I just wanted to know the best thing to do if it ever happened again. Sheesh.
Other than the all out war going on between comms and recs (and turtles are a huge game changer for both sides), the bigger issue is that you have admitted to committing a crime. I would edit my post if it were me......ASAP!

Unless the law has changed since a few years a go.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.