NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of hooks do you use for bottom fishing? I saw some circle hooks and was thinking of trying them. I wanted to know what any of you thought of them and what size I should try for sea bass and grouper.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
7/0 o'shaughnessy style Tru-turns (my go-to hooks)
7/0 or 8/0 o'shaughnessy style blood J hooks

Just my opinion here.. but alot of folks that I take fishin that arent experienced in pulling up bottom fish kinda struggle using the circle hooks, they always want to "rip the lips" off the fish by setting the hook, which is a no-no when using circles. I keep "reminding them" that they dont have to set the hook, just gradually pull up and apply pressure,, but they'll be over there yankin up and down and wondering why they went thru 10 lbs of bait and didnt catch a fish.

I use Gamakahatsu 4x strong circles in the 8/0 size (good size for grouper mouths and enough room to not get hung up in the bait) and is my go to hook for when I'm not attending to the rod. Just put on a pig in blanket and send it to about 10 ft off the bottom and put the rod in the holder.

I like Tru turn J hooks in the 7/0 and 8/0 size, they work great too for my crew members that arent hook savy and they can pull back and yank on them all day long and catch fish.

It all boils down to what you feel comfortable with and have success at using. Try a pack of each that your considering, then fish them out and see which one style(s) fits the bill.

As you can see... I carry a few hooks for certain anythings... but for grouper/sea bass/snappers, I'll use big baits on 7/0-8/0 o'shaughnessy style J-hooks

Ones I like to use are:
Penn
Gamakahatsu
Mustad
Tru-Turn

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I like circle hooks for most live bait or chunk bait fishing. Dave's point about setting the hook is a valid one, circle hooks will set themselves so no need for the "Bill Dance made for TV hook-set" manuver. Circle hooks turn in the fishes mouth as he swims away and usually results in a corner of the mouth lip hook. Which means fewer deep gut hooks and if you remember the "no Dance set" rule, you will get more hook-ups than on regular hooks.

On a related note - I took a freind on his first king fishing trip last week-end. He fishes near shore a lot. I think he watches a bit of TV fishing shows too. Being use to catching smaller fish and knowing he was targeting "big" fish - on the first knock-down of the day - he picks up the rod and does a 180 degree slam dunk hook-set.... Course the only thing left on the line was the hook. That was when I remembred to tell him - you don't need to hurry to set the hook on a king bite as long as he is running nor does it take much pressure when you do set it - a little, firm tug works well. Next knock-down resulted in a hook-up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.