NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Matt and I hit HPCL today, and was greeted by one of our guys, Oldkayaker. Good fella, loved the set up on the yak! We shared some info, then had to wait a bit to get on the lake, as they had changed their hours to 8 a.m.
So I strolled to the dock, threw a floating worm near the grass, and a good fish smashed it, took my worm when I set the hook. Tried it again, same result!
Finally got on the water, hit a few spots on the Penny Road side. Matt got on the board with a fat 14 incher on a speedcraw, then got a husky two pounder near a tree on it. Matt had one throw the bait a few minutes later, looked like a three pounder, and I was wondering what I was doing wrong, as the kid was wearing me out (still no bites). I picked up the mag finesse, told Matt we were going after bigger fish, so we headed down toward the bridge at Penny Road. There are three trees in the water on the left, in deeper water. I pitched the mag finesse in there and got bit right away. Set the hook, the drag sang as she headed back to the structure. Got over a limb, I was trying to horse her out, could feel the line sawing up and down on the limb. I felt her struggling, then the 14 pound fluorocarbon broke. Of course I was sick, but not deterred. We fished a laydown on the left side near the rip rap, and had a good one smash the worm, this one didn't get away! Not a giant, but a good fish anyway.
We went under the bridge, and Matt got another 14 incher on the speedcraw, and I got another good one on the mag finesse. The fish were all caught on trees, near the end of the laydowns.
The bite went away, and we headed back, as we had drank all of our water up. Five fish, all keepers, and it was a rush trying to get that pig out of the tree, so I will take it. And, it was good meeting Oldkayaker there.

Two biggest ones.
Water Vertebrate Fin Fisherman Fish
Water Vertebrate Lake Outdoor recreation Fisherman

·
Registered
96 Posts
It was a pleasure meeting you and Matt this morning. I also appreciate the info you gave me about the lake. I got a couple of hits but no fish in the yak. Looking forward to seeing you again. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
My son and I were not having any luck with LMB on the northern route. Just about to quit because of the heat when we circled the island near the East Fork bridge. Ran across a school of white bass. Well, none were anything of size, but boy was it fun. We were simply trolling cranks about 6' down, and picking them up on every short pass.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice report jerry! Kept my eye out for ya on Mon might give it another go this weekend have to wait & see. So hrs for weekend are 8 also? Yeah I lost several to the tree thing on Mon also.
I will most likely be there Sunday this week, got stuff going on Monday. If you can go Sunday, I will be there, come say hello.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.