NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
being fairly new to east coast saltwater fishing I am trying to figure out what to use and when its the right thing to use at the time

For now I am doing shore/surf and pier fishing usually by myself

Watch Cricket cap Sleeve Cap Gesture

caught my first ever trout last summer and eat what I kill - IT WAS GOOOOD! :D

anyway had someone tell me that Berkley GULP Mullet was one of the best to use in and around Carolina Beach/ Surf City / Sneeds Ferry area

So I been looking at these
There are so many colors that have me rubbing more hair off my forehead

What's the deal these?
and what the scent stuff? What works and what doesn't?

at this rate I will need a forklift to carry all these so called GREAT flavored things to a fishing spot

and on top of all that ... I see people who catch mullet fry and small crabs

and to really add to the confusion there are so many different rigs for various fish

Personally; I have caught a LOT of croaker's on shrimp near the marina where my camper is
One day I had to put down my pole just to take a beverage break (about 40% of casts were 2 croaker's at a time)

I need more substance than those little croaker's - they taste good but ...
lot of work for needing a couple per plate

I want to fish for real FOOD! and need a better understanding of whats up

I am once again gearing up for another couple 2 to 3 week fishing trip about second week of March :cool:
and looking for an edge to getting better understanding of what really works

Thanks for reading this and thanks again for any info that you have learned!

PS: If you are a camper AC business around Sneeds Ferry shoot me a private message if accepting an install job on morning of March 9th - looking for bids

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Your double hook bottom rigs will continue to catch your bottom dwellers like Spot, Croaker, Mullet, Gray Trout, Blowfish, etc, etc. The Mullet will usually run pretty good in the surf in the spring and they are some great eating fried up.

For the bigger surf species, you probably want to go with a Carolina rig of some sort fished with a live mullet/minnow or strip of mullet.

For blitzes in the surf (where fish are actively feeding on bait usually near the surface) you can throw metal spoons that mimic the bait fish. A lot of people will throw things like gotcha plugs in this type of fishing, but I find one of the best lures is actually a gotcha jig fish in 1/2 ounce of 1/4 ounce depending on depth. It also doesn't hurt to replace the trebles on these lures as they are pretty weak. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SyGHaDZfL._SX522_.jpg

As far as soft baits, you can't really go wrong around here throwing a jig head on a soft plastic like a gulp mullet or shrimp like you mentioned above. There are literally a ton of different soft baits to choose from (DOA, Z-Man, Bass Assassin) and they all work. A-lot of people apply a scent called Pro-Cure on baits that do not come already scented. http://pro-cure.com/store/bait-scent-products/scents/super-gels.html

Be selective on the type of jig head you use as well. There was a thread recently where people talk about their favorite ones. A red head and white body is usually a pretty popular color combo.

I would also encourage you to use the search function on here. There is A TON of very good information on here from people more than willing to share.

Good luck.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
A softbait paddle tail minnow or curly tail grub on a jighead, softbait shrimp on a jig head and under a popping cork on a jighead. Not GULP as pinfish will shred those expensive things. Pro-cure scents, shrimp, mullet, menhaden, inshore formula. Take your pick you don't have to have them all. Plenty of choices in soft bait brands buy what fits your wallet, I like a shade of white, a natural look, and a crazy combination like "electric chicken" or "clown" for starters. Tons of fish have been caught on a simple green with glitter curly tail grub. Carolina rig with soft baits or live minnows.
For piers I like a Gotcha plug, or Diamond jig to toss for blues and Spanish. 2 hook bottom rigs with fresh shrimp, bloodworms or bloodworm alternative put meat in the cooler to offset the expense of going. A Carolina rig in the suds with a finger mullet, mud minnow or scented soft plastic can catch reds, flounder, blues, black drum etc.

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
I don't fish in the salt much, but I have learned that the fresher the shrimp the better on the piers. I usually get it at a fish market instead of the bait shop at the pier.

Ditto on everything else mentioned above,

I do believe that I get more flounder with Gulp on the jig head than the soft plastics and procure. It doesn't seem to make any difference when swimming the bait for trout and Reds. But the flounder seem to hold the Gulp longer than the others. I like the Z-Mann baits for super toughness and a really soft feel, but stay away from the two color ones where the tail is bonded to the main body, they don't seem to hold up nearly as good. Also I like to use the lightest jighead I can throw in the shallow, inshore waters around Bay River. The same thing might make a difference with the Carolina rig, if sinker holds the bait in the surf and the lighter jighead would feel more natural if a flounder picked it up.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
Exactly, sorry for the confusion.

Also all types of Gulp can be mixed together in one jar or container. (The factory bags and jugs are bad to leak) lots of discussion on here but I use a Plano jar and a clamp down type food storage container)

Z-Man colors don't seem to bleed together for a short time (day or two) but do not let Z-Mann come in contact with any other soft plastics it is ugly everything will melt into a gooey blob.

Darrell

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well ... if any of you are around Sneads Ferry after March 8th (once I get an AC unit installed on the camper)
and want to catch some surf fishing or fishing off the pier at Topsail

let me know.

going to be there at very least 1 week and probably 2 weeks and hopefully 3 weeks :D

Wife and boy will be staying at home so I will be doing this trip solo

always looking for fishing pals

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Keep in mind you have to have a saltwater license in NC to fish saltwater. The piers have a blanket license that covers you when you pay their fee. Sea View pier is my recommendation for piers.

Reactions: dbeam
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.