NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I have been looking for a decent campground to camp at that is on The ICW so we can take the boat and launch from the campground. I have searched and searched for such a campground and finally found Lanier's Campground in Surf City. We may make a trip down to Wilmington in the ICW and do some fishing locally. I am going to get some charts this week since I have never been in these waters. Anything out of the ordinary that I should expect in this area? Anyone know a better campground that has a boat ramp in the area? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Can't help with the local info but I will recommend you buy the GMCO North Carolina Chartbook. The new edition is just out but is called the 2007...It is $35 but you won't need any other info for coastal NC and it's tributaries.

Reactions: Blue Water Runner

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Lanier's is fine, it's right on the water and Sound Side park is nearby. There is some fine flounder, trout and drum fishing right in those parts. It's about a 20 mile ride down the ICW to Wrightsville Beach from there but there is no problems - good clear channel just watch the markers for the channel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Picked up the chart book yesterday. I get off work at 1 and the wife gets off at 3 today. We will be hammer down at 3. :D

Weather:

Surf City To Cape Fear Nc Out 20 Nm-
Today
NW winds around 10 kt. Seas around 3 ft. Seas around 2 ft near shore.
Tonight
N winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt... increasing to 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 30 kt after midnight. Seas 2 to 4 ft...building to 3 to 5 ft after midnight.
Sat
N winds 20 to 25 kt...becoming NE 15 to 20 kt in the afternoon. Seas 4 to 7 ft. Near shore...seas 2 to 4 ft.
Sat Night
NE winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 30 kt. Seas 4 to 7 ft. Near shore...seas 3 to 4 ft.
Sun
NE winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 30 kt. Seas 4 to 7 ft.
Sun Night
NE winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 25 kt. Seas 4 to 7 ft.
Mon
NE winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 5 to 8 ft.

Looks like I won't be heading far from the dock. :(

If the wind blows hard on Saturday and Sunday we will come home on Sunday. If it calms down on Sunday morning we will be heading back on Monday. It never fails. If I go to the coast the dang wind blows. :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could be but they are still open for now.
Laniers' is going to sell the sites at the location that is on the left that is the furtherest from the office. Those sites would be on the left if you were heading south on the entrance road. As for the rest of the campground? There is another campground that is supposed to be in the construction phase and it will be a replacement possibly for the rest of the current campground. When that campground is complete the rest of the sites will become for sale possibly. I heard a long term site lease members mention $120k for a site. :eek: It is a fairly decent campground BUT its not worth that. Lanier's is not taking reservations for sites in 2008 right now and one of the employees mentioned that they would be moving possibly. I also heard that the new sites were inland and would be located on a golf course rather than the water.

BTW, There is NO CHANNEL between the boat ramp there and the channel in the ICW. At high tide the water was 2.5-3.5' at best. It low tide I ran aground attempting to get back to the dock. :mad: There are markers in Becky's Creek. They are pretty much useless. :confused: On Saturday we took a ride to Wilmington to get familiar with the local waters and logged in over 100 miles on the new boat. :) I also learned that I won't be using the campground ramp anymore. We did manage to wet a line and caught a couple of small spots :) which I threw back. I did learn that there is a lot of good spots to fish at in this area. We also poked the bow threw Carolina Beach Cut and took a look at the ocean. Nobody headed out. There was quite a few lookers but no takers. None. There was 6' waves crashing on the riprap there.:eek: We had planned to fish all day on Sunday but the wind increased, the ICW got rough and we decided to head home instead. :(

PICS OF TRIP

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Nice pics and report. Yes the real estate prices are getting fairly stupid for coastal property. Just the upkeep on island property would do me in. Always dealing with repairing something when you bought it for a place to relax....go figure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.