NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never surf fished often enough to know how consistent fish are in the surf, I know a lot of fish species only stick around the surf for a season or two. No specific spot just surf fishing in general in nc.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Different species are more prominent at different times.
But to say is my fishing consistent? As far as always catching fish? No. But you have to realize when surf fishing, you are dealing with the same things you would be on a nice beautiful lake plus 5 times more. Conditions can change rapidly on the surf. The surf changes, tides change, weather or wind changes.

The two most important things I recommend. Before you even go is to start watching the websites like Magicseaweed.com and Tides4fishing.com. I use both sites religiously and both are highly accurate. There are no surprises. I know what the surf is going to look like before I ever lay eyes on it.

I'm looking for wave separation (the time between waves or swells). Ideally I like it in the 9-12 second range. When you start getting into the low numbers it's just a relentless pounding like hammering a nail. It can make for some tough fishing. Wind speed and direction, tidal coefficient, tide times, Angle that the surf is hitting the beach and direction, and any predicted changes during my fishing time.

Then the next thing I highly recommend is learning how to read the beach. Surf fishing is just like fishing in lake in this respect. You need to fish where fish will hold or you wind up fishing a lot of "dead" water. I don't have to see signs of the fish I am fishing for to call it a good place either. My sign could be an area that is holding food that the fish I fish for eat. Then you have to look at what makes the food hold there. Structure. Structure I can't see necessarily but structure I may be able to see by reading how it affects the water. An anomaly in the surf. And I find some holes with my fishing rods. Very sensitive rods.

I don't always catch fish especially if I am targeting a specific fish but if you are parked over a place that is prime time real estate for feeding fish, your odds of catching just went up a 1000%.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But to say is my fishing consistent? As far as always catching fish? No. But you have to realize when surf fishing, you are dealing with the same things you would be on a nice beautiful lake plus 5 times more. Conditions can change rapidly on the surf. The surf changes, tides change, weather or wind changes.

The two most important things I recommend. Before you even go is to start watching the websites like Magicseaweed.com and Tides4fishing.com. I use both sites religiously and both are highly accurate. There are no surprises. I know what the surf is going to look like before I ever lay eyes on it.

I'm looking for wave separation (the time between waves or swells). Ideally I like it in the 9-12 second range. When you start getting into the low numbers it's just a relentless pounding like hammering a nail. It can make for some tough fishing. Wind speed and direction, tidal coefficient, tide times, Angle that the surf is hitting the beach and direction, and any predicted changes during my fishing time.

Then the next thing I highly recommend is learning how to read the beach. Surf fishing is just like fishing in lake in this respect. You need to fish where fish will hold or you wind up fishing a lot of "dead" water. I don't have to see signs of the fish I am fishing for to call it a good place either. My sign could be an area that is holding food that the fish I fish for eat. Then you have to look at what makes the food hold there. Structure. Structure I can't see necessarily but structure I may be able to see by reading how it affects the water. An anomaly in the surf. And I find some holes with my fishing rods. Very sensitive rods.

I don't always catch fish especially if I am targeting a specific fish but if you are parked over a place that is prime time real estate for feeding fish, your odds of catching just went up a 1000%.
I've been reading a lot about reading surf and I'll definitely use your advice and the sites. Wish me luck this weekend!

·
Registered
395 Posts

Excellent post DR!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Consistent is a very subjective term. I think if you are an opportunistic type fisherman who is willing to target what is available at a given time, consistency is much more likely than for an angler that targets a single or limited number of species.
Good luck this weekend and let us know how you did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.