NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just given three types of gulp by a friend. He doesn't fish but said he thought of me when he saw them on sale in some store. He gave me the minnow grub (white), nightcrawler, and the chicken liver. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm planning on going out in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Fish 'em just like you do live bait.(hook and sinker-bobber optional) The nightcrawler baits work very well for mountain trout. Even used it to catch catfish.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I thought so. Wasn't sure about the minnow grubs. Thought I needed to use a jig head with it.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright

never used weighted hooks before. Have to look into them.

What is the best type of hook for this? Brand, size, etc.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anybody got a suggestion to this? Best type of wieghted hook, brand, size, that type of thing. Thanks.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Anybody got a suggestion to this? Best type of wieghted hook, brand, size, that type of thing. Thanks.
Most brands make a weighted hook now. Here's a sample:Mustad Fin-A'cky Weighted Black Nickel Hook

Like a jighead, use one just heavy enough to get you to the bottom but not so heavy that it drags the bottom.

I like jig heads for paddle tail minnows, jerk baits and curly tail minnows. I prefer the weighted hooks for softbaits like shrimp and worms.

Hope this helps, sorry for the delay in answering. I was on a cruise ship and swore off the internet for the entire cruise (read: too cheap to pay 60 cents a minute).

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fully understand. Thanks for the info. I truly do appreciate it. One more question for you. How do you suggest retrieving the jig headed minnow and the hook weighted worms? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Coach D---- Try a variety of retrieves.Fast- slow- twitch-stop and go, bump bottom,etc. Stick with what works at location. I note a friend gave you the Gulp, now that's a good friend. That stuff is so expensive I store it in the bank safe deposit box when I'm not fishing with it.:D

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Threw the mortgage out of the fireproof box at the house and put the Gulp in there instead. More important. :D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Yeah, they call it "GULP" cause thats the sound ya make when you see the price!!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Just store them in the bag they came in, they have one of those zip lock closures on each bag. Once a Gulp! has been in the water, never put it back in with unused baits though.

Some folks (me included) save the used ones in an old gulp bag with the juice, then melt them together and use them for tipping bucktails.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.