NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Except for the winter when I am fishing deep, I always fish along the banks, around points, pockets, pilings and close to shore.

I got a report on a good trout bite the other week and wanted to see if I could have any luck. Caught a lot of flounder but no trout. Talked with a buddy and he said I didn't have any luck with the trout because I was flounder fishing. He said I would have done better with the trout if I was further out. He said that when he trout fishes the end of his cast falls/lands another cast length away from shore. He said he never fishes close to the shoreline for trout.

Just want to take a quick poll to see what everyone else does?????? Maybe in all these years of fishing alone, with friends, and guides I have been missing something.

I was also fishing an 808 which I have a lot of confidence in. He said that was fall pattern and was fishing it too early. I normally don't trout fish until the fall so I couldn't argue with him on that. Thoughts???

Have been hearing good things about the M17 in the new GCSB color "Green Back/Pearl Belly/Chart&Silver Bones pattern. Anybody have any success with this.

On a side note went fishing off a long pier the next weekend, throwing a gulp shrimp. Went about mid way down the pier 50-75 yards out and caught a two person limit of specks in about two hours. That made up for the bad trip but is starting to play head games with me about being further from shore.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This time of year I throw nothing but top water in the mornings. The action doesn't last long for me, but its fast and furious from sun up to a couple hours later. After that I couldn't tell you where they go. I stay off the bank a ways, usually casting in the area where crab pots are set. Usually 3-6 ft of water. I'm not great but I do ok.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes stay off the banks a little, I'm usually a good 20 yards or more farther off the bank than the guys flounder fishing. I have had great luck this year on topwaters(spook jr./white with redhead) and popping corks pulling a live target or doa shrimp for the first couple of hours in the morning, then I switch over to my x-rap (xr-6 color 001 silver) during the day and look for some moving water to cast it into. I am no expert but I have been lucky to make a few more trips this year than usual and what I just said has worked every time.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
You find a creek that has oyster bars that extend to the bank, find the one that stops just before the bank so that it has created a U shape into the bank where the water flows around it at about 2 feet per second, has to have a large limb hanging over it to create shade, here you toss a skitterwalk and twitch stop twitch stop twitch twitch BAM citation trout :)

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
You find a creek that has oyster bars that extend to the bank, find the one that stops just before the bank so that it has created a U shape into the bank where the water flows around it at about 2 feet per second, has to have a large limb hanging over it to create shade, here you toss a skitterwalk and twitch stop twitch stop twitch twitch BAM citation trout :)
You forgot the Red X ... that place has a Red X on it.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'm a novice to it but if the shrimp are around I fish with shrimp type baits or topwater. If they aren't I use minnow style baits and topwater unless its cold then its minnow style baits jigged slowwwwww or suspending baits also slowwwww.. Right now would be shrimp on poppers and topwater for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the answers and feedback. I have always had success before but it doesn't hurt to try something new.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I use hard baits year round for Specks. Not much of a popping cork/soft plastics guy myself but if I have to have a soft bait to throw it would be a Storm shrimp. They catch fish pretty dang good IMO. Stay off the bank a little ways and fish points and drop offs. And don't forget about throwing the old style 52 Mirrolures in the summer. They will bust those things when worked quickly. Seems to draw a lot of reaction strikes when nothing else will.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm a novice to it but if the shrimp are around I fish with shrimp type baits or topwater. If they aren't I use minnow style baits and topwater unless its cold then its minnow style baits jigged slowwwwww or suspending baits also slowwwww.. Right now would be shrimp on poppers and topwater for me.
What kind of suspending baits? I use rapala 4.5inch husky jerks in fresh water a lot.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Reactions: RouseD
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.