NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how I work it and the evidence clearly shows I could be doing better.

I got in the habit of slow rolling the chatter in cold weather and can't seem to break my pattern so I am looking for tips please. Thanks.

BTW My last 6 pounder came on that technique, even if it was two years ago.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I dont fish them alot. When I do, its usually in a similar fashion to a spinnerbait, chunk and wind. Will also rip it out of the grass. A buddy I used to fish with quite a bit fished his more like a jig letting it hit the bottom and kind of hopping it along. He used to take a vacation to Okechobee every year and fish either the FLW Tour or Rayovac Series as a co-angler. The year that Bryan Thrift put the chatterbait on the map, my buddies boater one of the days was fishing the same areas as Thrift.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Love the chatterbait. I fish it a lot like a crankbait. Cast let fall and then crank change speeds and twitch let fall. Trying all kinds of cadences. Its a very versatile bait. Can be used at all depths of the water column but I usually only use it in 18 ft or less. It can be customized a lot too; switch skirts, skirtless w plastics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
As soon as I actually catch a fish I will let ya know :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Doesn't help much but everyone is right when they say it just depends on the fish that day. I always start with a normal medium speed retrieve after letting it fall to or near to the bottom. If that isn't working I speed it up. If that doesn't work, I work it more like a jig and pig.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
dangle it just below the surface one big one took a swipe at mine yesterday as I was waiting for people to clear before pulling up on the bridge. Sucker made a big swirl slap at it but I was just above surface so it missed :)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I lost my fav chatterbait today it was a Castaic, I got in a mystery tackle box and I cant find the things anywhere. It was a soft shad jerkbait with a chatter bait lead head..

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dangle it just below the surface one big one took a swipe at mine yesterday as I was waiting for people to clear before pulling up on the bridge. Sucker made a big swirl slap at it but I was just above surface so it missed :)
Reminds me of a trip to SC a while back for smallmouth. I couldn't make a mistake that day. Threw my worm over the limb of a bush, worm hanging a foot above the water, and the crazy fish jumped out of the water to bite. Got him in the boat too. Good times.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Same as with any other bait including live bait. You have to adapt a retrieve to match what will entice a strike. Pretty much the same thing with live bait. You may have to change styles of rigs and even how a bait is rigged from day to day and even hour to hour. Fish turn on and off instantly. If you've ever had the pleasure of fishing a beautiful day until the very moment a front comes through, you will have witnessed the phenomenon. It doesn't mean they won't bite, it just means you have to find a bait or technique that will entice them to bite. Versatility is a great thing, but you also have to have confidence in what you are doing. Putting a fish in the boat usually takes care of that issue.
90% of my confidence has always been in soft plastics and jig and pig so bait wise I'm not all that versatile, but retrieve and rigging wise, I'm very versatile. But I fish for quality rather than quantity.
There is alot of variables you can add or delete from the mix but I would start with exactly you want to accomplish and go from there.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lots of excellent advice here as usual. Thanks for all the replies and I will try to remember and employ the different tactics mentioned. If I don't get a 10 pounder next time out I know who to blame it on. LOL

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I evidently am not skilled at all in the chatterbait department. I think it's mostly the lack of confidence. I've used a chatterbait on a few occasions with no luck....except for getting snagged. Same with jigs.....I know they'll catch fish but I just don't give them the faith or time they most likely deserve. When I start to try and give more time to a new lure to gain efficiency I usually feel like I'm taking time away from something else I could be catching fish with. Just need to not take anything but what I'm trying to get better with out with me and force myself to use it for a while.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
That is why I don't enjoy fishing with time constraints. Like tournaments. When I surf fish, it's a looooong day. It's typical to leave home at 5am and get back 8 or 9pm. So I have a few tides I can fish through and ample opportunity to try different things bait wise and rig wise. The most enjoyable fishing I've done in my life but also the most brutal.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I evidently am not skilled at all in the chatterbait department. I think it's mostly the lack of confidence. I've used a chatterbait on a few occasions with no luck....except for getting snagged. Same with jigs.....I know they'll catch fish but I just don't give them the faith or time they most likely deserve. When I start to try and give more time to a new lure to gain efficiency I usually feel like I'm taking time away from something else I could be catching fish with. Just need to not take anything but what I'm trying to get better with out with me and force myself to use it for a while.
That is the best way to learn a new bait...but also the hardest!

It takes commitment to do it and when you aren't catching anything, you still have to try to make yourself be confident in what you are doing to the bait...

It is the best way to get familiar with the bait, though, and to learn all the different things you can do with it to make it look like prey. Just don't give up...not saying that a chatterbait is the end all of lures, but it can be good in some situations, just like any of the baits out there.

It is good for covering water and can be used as a jig, as a slow rolling bait or even a wake bait. Lots of options to try when you are using it...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.