NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I have a range limitation of about 30-35 miles (maybe 40) depending on sea state. If this was your range, where would you go out of Morehead for the best bet for wahoo?

East side of the Cape?

Somewhere out past the Papose or 90' drop area?

Or are these choices too shallow, I know 30-40 fathoms is the ticket right now?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Would Big rock be in range? It's about 38 - 42 nautical miles depending on which corner. I know a friend of mine caught a bunch of hoos at Swansboro Hole this week but that is about 44 nautical miles. I'm not the best guy to help though as I have limited info for that area. Maybe some others will have better info.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mike....Big Rock may be pushing it, but on a flat day, no problem. My worry is getting out there and then seas kick up and I have to slog it back burning more fuel than going out and using up my safety reserve.

I want to try getting some hoos!

Maybe I'll get a trip together with someone and split costs like we did w/Sea Byrd last December......:)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
90 Drop is where you'd start for hoo's out of Morehead

Wrightsville, you're lookin at a 60-74 mile run one way.

90 drop isnt too far from West Big Rock south (5 miles...), but it's that first deep blue water ledge is where you want to fish them and where they'll be.

skirted ballyhoo's, wahoo whackers, 5 and 8 inch Yozuri bonita's and anything flashy and fast ;)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hey Mike....Big Rock may be pushing it, but on a flat day, no problem. My worry is getting out there and then seas kick up and I have to slog it back burning more fuel than going out and using up my safety reserve.

I want to try getting some hoos!

Maybe I'll get a trip together with someone and split costs like we did w/Sea Byrd last December......:)
I'd be up for that, too bad Dave sold his fishing machine :( - he'd take us!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If we come down to Morehead in the next week, I have a 25' Mako w/twins I want to look at in Beaufort...
I won't need to post these questions with that! :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sometimes you can get wahoo in as close as the 14 buoy. We boated a near 50 lb fish there a couple years ago.

I would start between the 90 foot drop and the 14 and troll towards the big rock.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies, looks like the seas will be too rough for me this weekend so we may not go and wait for better conditions.

Will make the final call by Friday as to go/no go.

Scott

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Better to play it safe... save that fishin money for a better day when ya git it!
it's a decent haul to the 90 drop.. just if that wind kicks up can get really rough there off the shoals out to the 14 bouy.

Another option Scott is the reefs for a bit of trolling closer. 13 bouy comes to mind and Big 10/little 10 would be good areas if your bent on headin out but not wanting to go out out and get beat up too bad....

Post'm up when/if ya go! Good luck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
'Preciate it Dave......I think we'll be a waiting...sure wanted to see that 25 Mako this weekend though! I have been out there when I shouldn't have have and it ain't no fun that's for sure!

Have an Uncle coming in Friday I have not seen for many years so we'll just hang out over the weekend.

Maybe next time!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
You could probably still check out the boat right? just not run it...
and by the way... it only starts gettin uncomfortable when they're 7 ft.'rs or more ;)

4-7's with a less than 20 knot wind... do-able, especially trolling
over 7's with a greater than 20 knot... definately in/nearshore or just stay on the hill

dont be a wuss.... go fish! :D:eek:ha ha ha ha... Horizon? we dont need no stinkin horizon! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.