NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife likes to tell people this story. while my side of the state was getting flooded last sept. we decided to go to cape hatteras to get away from the destruction. for years i've tried to catch some redfish and usually walk away with pompano or bluefish or sharks. well anyway on the last day of our vacation a guy at a tackle shop in kitty hawk told me to go to coquina beach. long story short while a storm blew in that was blowing towels, beachchairs, and seagulls sideways i was finally catching my redfish. the waves were so big all i could do was cast in between breaks. my wife stills swears that it reminded her of the storm scene in forest gump BUT I CAUGHT MY REDFISH!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Redfishtom.

Good story. I'm relatively new to drum fishing and have only been a few times............but I'm hooked now! We have a group of guys that go to Portsmouth Island for a week each October. We caught all of the usual, blues, trout, whiting, and some fairly nice keeper puppys. Last October I caught a 38lb, 45in Red Drum. Man what a fight! I thought that was pretty good.......then I experienced something I've never done before. I've been doing some pier fishing for many years when vacationing with the family at Myrtle Beash. Last November I was fishing on the SpringMaid pier and thought I had hooked into a big shark. Much to my surprise, it was a 29lb Red Drum that was 38in long. I was able to land him with a hoop net and needless to say....it drew a croud!

Hope you snag a good one on your next trip!

·
Registered
204 Posts
PLenty of big drum in the Neuse and sound near Neuse, Bay and Pamlico Rver entrances every August and September. Some evening you can catch over 20 fish over 40 inches.
Capt Gary

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
man I was happy just to catch the 3-4 pound puppy drum I caught, I don't know how I'd react to catching some of the beasts you guys are telling me about. wouldn't eat em cause i release everything .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey CaptGary,

When you get time, I'd like to hear more about the drum fishing on the Neuse. Also, I'm not very familiar with that area. Could you be a little more specific as location.........without giving away your favorite fishin hole.
Thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
The big drum show up in late July/August and are around into Sept. We bait fish for them with cut mullet on circle hook rigs designed to release the fish alive. The afternoon, evening and night are the best fishing times and you can find the fish around the shoals and ledges in the Neuse and Sound. Chumming is helpful and have plenty of bait around for for the bait stealers can be thick. Let me know if your intersted in an afternoon trip with me...its a great way to learn and its a trip that shouldn't be missed.
Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.