NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to try my new kayak on the river saturday morning and float a bit for shad. I was thinking about putting in at Mill Creek Rd and floating down to the mouth of Mill Creek and then floating the Neuse down to Ferry Bridge. I'm probably going to have my Gf pick me up from there and I'll shad fish along the way. My question is how long do y'all think it will take? It is about a 2.5 mile trip by my reckoning. Basically how long does one mile of floating take in a kayak? Has anyone ever floated Richardson's bridge ramp down to ferry bridge? Also, when you float for shad how do you fish? Do you stop along the way and fish decent spots or do you just cast while you are floating?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I can't tell you how long a float trip will take, but I am also interested in a ballpark amount of time. I would guess it all depends on how long you stop to fish, current, etc.
I just got a kayak on Sunday and have also been thinking of doing a float in the Goldsboro area. I'll be checking this thread regularly. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't tell you how long a float trip will take, but I am also interested in a ballpark amount of time. I would guess it all depends on how long you stop to fish, current, etc.
I just got a kayak on Sunday and have also been thinking of doing a float in the Goldsboro area. I'll be checking this thread regularly. Thanks!
I just got mine thursday. I've done a lot of kayaking and canoeing but usually I paddle up and float back. I'm mainly looking to try mine out in the current. Weave, If you want to do a float with me I wouldn't mind the company, it'd definitely be safer. I'm not necessarily stuck on a ferry bridge float, as long as I am back to the truck by 1 or 2PM on saturday.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've gotta go back to Raleigh this weekend, but might not leave until Saturday afternoon. If I end up staying in town, I'll shoot you a PM. A buddy also got a kayak recently and he had mentioned a trip soon as well. Might have to make it a plastic navy on the Neuse. I wish this rain would quit!

-Broc

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah just let me know. Until then I'll plan on my initial float plan but I'm pretty flexible. It looks like saturday is supposed to clear up but it's going to be chilly. Shad don't seem to mind too much.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
yes, it will be chilly. I am not your nanny, but you do need to read up a bit on cold water kayaking safety. It would be best to go with someone and make sure you wear warm clothes that aren't cotton; neoprene waders or poly under raingear or whatever. Do some reading and others will likely pile on with warnings. Please take them to heart - it can get dicey quick when it is cold.

EDIT - I know you have been on a while, but since you have had a yak for only a couple of days i didn't know if you paid attention to us yammering about safety before.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I appreciate the safety warnings and will read up a little more before I hit the river. Not to thread jack here, but if you want to stop and fish in the river, do you tie off to a tree? Is it safe to use an anchor or stakeout pole if the current isn't moving too fast?

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I use a spring clamp and a line ("ropes" become "lines" on boats; not sure why) instead of tying; easier to attach/remove and less worry about hooks that may be in branches. Anchors are dicey if there is timber, but they work. Stakeout pole will just limit where you can stop but will work in calm shallows.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As a scout from the time I was a child I've had kayak safety drilled into me from a very young age. Im not planning to anchor in the main river, though i've done it several times in the canoe. If I anchor I will be on mill creek or a side creek.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I use a spring clamp and a line ("ropes" become "lines" on boats; not sure why) instead of tying; easier to attach/remove and less worry about hooks that may be in branches. Anchors are dicey if there is timber, but they work. Stakeout pole will just limit where you can stop but will work in calm shallows.
Following up on my own post to add that I used this the other day in the wind on a lake that had a lot of structure and it worked really well there. On rivers I usually drift and catch eddies. Some big swirling eddies will keep taking you in small circles if you just paddle back into it every now and then when you drift out.

·
Red X Angler
9,007 Posts
If you're going to anchor (not a good idea in cold current if you are new at the sport), be SURE and do so off the end of the yak (anchor trolley set up suggested). Might sound obvious but I have seen some disastrous results from folks anchoring off the side. A learning lesson in warm water, a potentially fatal one in cold....ain't no fish worth that risk.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
That's how I canoe fish a lot of the time. Use it as a bank fishing ferry. Getting in and out of a kayak os a lot harder though
You'll get used to it. I usually pick my self up out of the seat to where I'm squatting down in the foot area. Then simply step over the side onto land or shallow water......make sure it's shallow water.

Sent from my kayak...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.