Votes: 64 20.1%
  • 40+ years

Votes: 102 32.1%
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whether you've been fishing all your life or are just beginning, take our poll and feel free to post a quick reply on why the sport of fishing is so important to you. :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
:p My mother told me,that at 3 months old,I was put in a washtub that was tied to and floated by a innertube.Netting was tied over the tub to keep the bugs out.A rope was tied from tub to waist to pull me along.This was a common way to carry your fish,while wading in the shallow waters of Mobile Bay Alabama,as you fished,giged or used a cast net.This was 1945.I can not remember when I did not fish,or could not swim.I had to quit fishing for over 10 years,due to medical problems.I am now retired and am now doing my best to get back into it.P-W,or alfred

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am 59 and I've been fishing since I was a kid. I lived in NY and fished saltwater all the time. At night my son and I fished for Eels and Sandsharks. Day time was for Fluke, Flounder, Black Fish and Baby Blues ( Snappers ) and the good old Blue Claw Crab. On my boat at low tide I picked up, Clams and Mussels. Al :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
55+ years.I am now 60.I don;t remember when I didn;t fish.My dad started me early.Weather or catching fish is not important.I enjoyed GOING FISHING in the heat,rain,sleet,snow,even chipping ice to keep from sinking.I worked out in it,so I never let the weather keep me from going.I am very lucky that I feel this way.I have a worse day and a best day fishing,but never a bad day fishing.I am now in poor heath and handicaped.I don;t get to fish much anymore.I can not go in the rain now,as I have a tube running out of my side and hooked up to a machine,that must stay dry.When I do go,it is very hard,as it may take me 20 minutes to tie a hook or sinker. I may loose over a dozen bait,before I get one on.I have to fish for small fish that I can handle,With large rods and reels that I can handle.I have to quite eating 24 hours ahead of time,and not eat untill I return home.It is very tiring and very painful.I love every bit of it.Most of all,I love to watch children fishing.My children taught me this.It is the most fun of all. Alfred Price-Williams. I AIN;T DEAD AND I AIN;T QUITTING

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm Jimmy and I have been fishing since I was about 6 years old. Some of the best times I can remember is being down by French Creek with my Dad and fishing for smallmouths and walleye. As I got older my buddies and I would take all day canoe trips down the creek and catch our own bait mainly creek chubs, shiners, and softshelled crabs and fish all the way home. The time in the great outdoors is something that can never be forgotten. I hope to have many mores years to spend enjoying my favorite pastime.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm 41 now and have been fishing 40 years. Mom carries a photo of me in diapers and the first fish that stayed on the hook all day. By the age of five I was cleaning fish. At sixteen, my pals and I were cooking them. I've always eaten them and love to fish for the table. Yesterday, I taught my five year old nephew to catch bream. He loved it. I loved it, and another fisherman is born. Take your relatives kids fishing too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
All my life. My granddad took me when I could hardly hold the cane pole up. I have mostly bass fished in fresh water but have fell in love with the inlet and the Lighthouse adn of course trolling for fish. Nothing like hearing that line start screaming and someone yelling "fish on!!"

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I've been fishing since I was old enough to hold a pole (40+ years). I started at my Granddaddy's farm pond on blue gill then bass. I love to fish for many reasons; the challenge, the unity with nature, the time to reflect on my thoughts and sometimes just plain time to relax!

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Dad got me started fishing fairly early when I caught my first fish from a pier on the Florida coast and was hooked for life. I guess that's why I love saltwater fishing so much. Spent most of my time fishing the rivers and creeks in the Blue Ridge mountains with a couple of family fishing trips every year to Emerald Isle. I hope to be able to spend many years in the future sharing memorable fishing trips with my family.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Started fishing for catfish in Gauley and New River when I was a kid. Caught my first bass when I was a teen on the little Kanawah River, got hooked on bass and have bee fishing since. I'm 64 and still get excited when I feel a pull on the other end of my pole.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
i have been fishin since i was 5. my first fish was a brook trout. i fly fished in about every river ,creek,trickle. in western ny. than i relocated to the peidmont boy was THAT a change now 15 years later i have not even picked up my fly rod all year..

zooker

·
Registered
341 Posts
As I am approaching 54 and I started at about age 4 ... seems like a half century has passed. Wow! I sorta' wish I hadn't thought about it that way. That means I have only a half century left!!!

The earliest rememberances of fishing are with my dad. We would go visit my grandmother at Half Moon and ride on over to Swansboro. We would rent a boat at Bull's Place and motor out to a place I called Goat Island because there were wild goats on it. Many pinfish, some spots and croakers, and a few flounder found their way to the table on those trips.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I along with a few others have been fishing for over 50 years. My first fish was a bullhead caught in a rain storm at night on Sandy Pond in New York. The longest I've gone without fishing is the year and a half that I was in Vietnam tip-toeing thru the elephant grass

1 - 20 of 75 Posts