NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm workin' on a plan to respool my smaller reels with fresh line -- but the thought occurred to me that this could be a wasteful proposition. If I have two reels that hold 200 yards at a given size, I'll need the 300-yard packages of line. But after buying two packages and spooling two reels, I've got two 100-yard chunks of waste, amounting to 33% of my purchase.

I allowed Dick's to wind a line one time and was disappointed at the lack of tension on the spool, so I'd kinda rather do it myself.

I'm planning to wind 'em with braid this time instead of mono - so the "waste" won't be any good for leaders... and the 1/3 wasted cost will smart a little bit more...

I do need to replace one of the reels -- so I could choose the second reel so that its capacity added to the existing reel's capacity adds up to 330 yards... But aside from that, is there a more stewardly way to accomplish the task?

Thanx - lefty

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Lefty--- I assume you're trying to fill spools to max for smoother casting--what I have done is to partially fill spools with same weight mono for backing--splice braid to mono using a blood knot--cut tags very close--put 1/2 (by estimation) of the braid on each reel. Gotta stay ahead of the tackle monkey or he will do you in. Since the mono will be used mainly to take up space--use the cheap stuff.;)

Reactions: RobinH

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm - one of the things I was hoping to accomplish with braid was to not have to replace the whole spool's worth of line as often as I might have to with mono. The textbooks say that mono suffers from heat, UV, and "memory effect", therefore you ought to replace your line at least annually. If I fill the bottom half of the spool with cheap mono, that mono won't get much sunlight, but it'll get the brunt of the pressure -- it's ALWAYS tightly wound, except when a monster stick takes off at a dead run. (Or if I ever catch a decent-sized fish.) I'd read that braid was not as susceptible to heat and tension (and some claim less UV susceptibility), and was hoping that I could leave a braid-filled reel loaded for several years at a time.

This year I've wound up going fishing two or three times a month. I don't make it out nearly as often as many of you.

If I back the reel with cheap mono, would it still be wise to replace it all more frequently than an all-braid spool? I wouldn't want the mono to become brittle and break as soon as I need it...

Lefty

·
Registered
15 Posts
When you are spooling up with Braid, the directions tell you to put on a mono backer. If you don't, your braid will slip on the spool.

With regard to the mono backer, I don't worry about it too much. you can use a heavier pound backer that should hold up a bit better. As far as your braid holding up; when braid takes on a frayed appearance, it is time to cut back. I use Fireline in the smoke color, when it turns grey and looks frayed, it is time to retie. Another trick to braid is to respool to another spool, making the front the back if you will.

Mike

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Lefty - Braid will last for years (except the end which gets frayed from rocks, teeth, etc). If the mono backing is just there as spool filler or as a cushion for the braid, don't worry about it, it won't matter. However if you pay it out and it gets wet alot and subjected to sunlight, shouldbefishin's idea is right on - that allows you to extend the life of the braid and change your mono backing as needed.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, sounds like a plan. Now I just gotta replace that "starter" (cheap) reel that just started giving me trouble, so I can get on with one that'll outlast my line. Gotta hit the flea market with SinkerMan one of these days....

·
Registered
175 Posts
As many of you know I feed the tackle monkey but I have given this same advice that has been given to customers for the past 25 years. I have also used rubber bands on a spool to take up space and found that with the plastic spools they act like a shock asborber and keep the reel from spliting or breaking.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Lefty, I just went through that exercise but used a Uni-knot for the splice. It's easier on these old fingers to tie. You can also use it to splice the 2 short spools of braid and have enough for a 3rd reel, an end run on the tackle monkey if you will.

Good luck and good fishing.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
just buy bulk spools of like 1,000 yards and spool them yourself when needed, then you dont waste anything.

The cost appears more,, but your better off buying in bulk.

That's how the tackle monkey get's ya.... sell ya 100 yards of what you arent gonna use!! ;)

One tip that offshore guys use, and this can apply to pretty much any reel... is to "reverse" spool line to save from having to re-spool.

What I mean is like this:

say you have a 6/0 reel loaded with 50 lb.
breaks offs, wear, etc... been eatin away at the line capacity (reducing it)
You finally get to a point where you feel the need to respool.
No reel really see's the end of the spool on a "everyday" basis and most never make it past half spool -- so all that line is still good.

To save a full re-spool, I'll take the tag end of the old line and tie it to the empty spool of another reel (i.e. putting line on a 50 from a 50w..) this allows me to re-use the back half of the line on the spool that pretty much hasnt been used...

anyway... just a one way to get a little more longevity out of a spool of line. Recreationally it works and the mono usually looses some of that spool memory (at least on bigger reels) after a couple stretchings (via trolling lures) and uses. If your a tourny guy... you'll want fresh spool full up.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Blatant Tackle Monkey feeding here....

This has been a very handy product for spooling line:
https://www.ncangler.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=15
Like Dave, I now buy line in bulk and spool it as I need it. You can position the spooler differently for feeding spinning or other reels. I'm looking for a line measuring device now that I can accurately tell how much line is going on a reel. I think that would be a great modification to this product. But I could probably use one of the devices that attach to your rod to let you know how much line you are letting out, and use it coming off the line winder instead to let you know how much line you are spooling to a reel.

I used to use the product above but then I switched to this one when I bought my new boat.
https://www.ncangler.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=16
It enables me to easily respool lines on the boat. And when preparing for a trip I just go out to the boat in the driveway drop this in a rod holder and get to work. Both products make spooling reels real easy. :)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Randy, there's a clamp on rod mounted type line counter, granted it will count as line goes "out", but I dont see where it wouldnt measure if simply reversed as line is being spooled on..

I want to say Matt picked his up at Bass Pro in Charlotte, I'll have ask him exactly what brand/Make/model. He uses it to control amount of line out and has had good success with it....

Dang... keep on feedin that TM!! ;):rolleyes:

·
Registered
358 Posts
just buy bulk spools of like 1,000 yards and spool them yourself when needed, then you dont waste anything.

The cost appears more,, but your better off buying in bulk.

Exactly.

For example, I recently needed to spool up 8 Abu 6500s with 15 pound P-Line CXX. The filler spools (300 yards) were $10 each with a 100 yards of waste. I bought a 3000 yard spool for $53. I filled each reel and should have enough to spool them again.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Another tip is use that old mono as backing for your new braid (instead of rubber bands). This works really well on those 4/0 & 6/0 reels used for bottom fishing - you'll never use more than the first 200 yards (600 feet) if that so why pay for all that braid or new mono to just to fill up the spool (which you need to do to get the highest retreive rate).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Such great advice here. I was just fumbling through the forums and ran across this thread and am just about to restring all my reels, so great great advice. Headed over to Gander tomorrow to get me some braid, have never used it, grew up on mono and have always used that but sure sounds like braid is the way to go!

Thanks to all here for the great advice and tips!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.