NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sooooo the neuse shellcracker thread got me wanting to catch some bream, bluegill, and shellcrackers. I got to go to the pre opening of cabelas in garner tonight and picked up a 16.5ft bream buster pole. I was wondering how you guys rig these kinds of poles. What kind of hooks, what size line, and how long of line. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
sooooo the neuse shellcracker thread got me wanting to catch some bream, bluegill, and shellcrackers. I got to go to the pre opening of cabelas in garner tonight and picked up a 16.5ft bream buster pole. I was wondering how you guys rig these kinds of poles. What kind of hooks, what size line, and how long of line. Thanks for the info guys.
usually make the line the length of the pole minus 1 0r 2 feet. I also use heavier line say 12-14 so you can pull that hook back easier. they are not line shy.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Do yourself a favor and put you some super or gorilla glue around the tip. The only time i fish with one is in the lily pads. I like to use a slip cork and find a opening and just ease it down. If you use a stationary cork it's much more difficult to fish in the pads then. It's getting that time where those fish will be in there. Good luck.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The typical rig consists of a length on mono (8# works just fine) about the same length of the pole, an aberdeen-style hook no larger than a size 6 (size 8 is optimum), a size BB split shot about crimped on about 10" above the hook, and a very small bobber (no bigger than 1" with 3/4" being best. I strongly recommend the pear or teardrop shaped ones. Bait? Red wigglers, small pieces of nightcrawlers, crickets or - unquestionably the best - waxworms on a tiny (1/64th oz.) jighead! A slip cork works well in water deeper than 5'.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I only use a 13' pole...

Like most, I do 8lb mono, with a #6 or #8 hook and a bb. I don't use a bobber, because that thing never leaves my hands, and it's so sensitive you can feel everything. The wire hooks wademaster recommends are a great idea, you will get your share of snags with that thing, and trees, and.....

Caught 30" carp on one of those 4- years ago. It was a toss up which of us was going to win that tug of war.

If you want real fun... check youtube for videos of "Doodle socking" with a cane pole. I keep meaning to try that, and might now that I have a kayak that will get me close to the bass.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I use 12lb or 20lb mono so it will bend a snagged gold hook, and land the occasional catfish or bass your gonna stumble across. I have caught 30lb flatheads on a cane pole. I slip the line through the eye a couple of times and tie it then also tie the tag end off a few inches below the tip. Ive had a tip come loose and snap off and the other knot saved me. Just have to make sure it will still let you slide the tubes back together. I use gold aberdeen #2 #4 or #6 hooks,depending on the bait, slip cork smaller the better (crappie especially will let go if they feel resistance when they are in a finiky mood so I like a slim small bobber. Just enough splitshot BB size to make the float stand up, a small brass swivel for the hook. I like minnows for bait Crickets always catch something and tiny crappie jigs, and crappie nibbles are nice when you dont want to mess with worms, minnows, etc but I never catch as well.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
My bream busters are 10, 11 and 12 feet long and work great. I've never used one of your length. The tips of these style of poles is usually a small wire loop on the end of the pole. If you tie straight to this point you may end up pulling that part off. It is either glued or tie wrapped on and will pull off. I take and run my line thru the eye and then tie it off about 1 foot below the eye. The line is wrapped around the pole and a couple of half hitches thrown in. THis gives me a little insurance in case the pole breaks I still have the fish.

·
Registered
359 Posts
One thing I forgot to add.I have a 15' breambuster, and that baby gets heavy after several hours of fishing. I hardly ever use it anymore, most of the time if I fish with one it's my 13' pole as it's not quite as heavy.

Those long ones may be Black Widows or another name brand, and they're nowhere close to being as light as a Lil' Jewel.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The typical rig consists of a length on mono (8# works just fine) about the same length of the pole, an aberdeen-style hook no larger than a size 6 (size 8 is optimum), a size BB split shot about crimped on about 10" above the hook, and a very small bobber (no bigger than 1" with 3/4" being best. I strongly recommend the pear or teardrop shaped ones. Bait? Red wigglers, small pieces of nightcrawlers, crickets or - unquestionably the best - waxworms on a tiny (1/64th oz.) jighead! A slip cork works well in water deeper than 5'.
Sage advice... I have witnessed Steve and company fish circles around others (that would be me) with this rig. It's is impressive to say the least. One day last week was Blue Gill genocide. 90 fish. 40+ were over a pound...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.