NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd give this a stab.. I'm gonna use my two Penn 114's for the example rod/reels.

50 lb main line (for my reels I use Ande Back Country)

For each reel:
One 150 lb STS Custom Tackle 25 ft. wind on leader or whichever you choose
two 150 lb rated crimps
one 150 lb rated mini swivel (Momoi)

Step 1 - reels and leaders and parts

Step 2 - On your main line, make a tied loop (there's many ways to do this, go with what you feel comfortable or know), once tight, you'll want to clip off the excess

Step 3 - Run your newly made main line loop end thru the wind on leader loop end
just run it thru the middle there...

Step 4 - Now run your wind on leader tag end thru your main line loop and pull all of the leader thru

Step 5 - You should be lookin at the same thing, yours should be like this,
main line thru leader loop and leader thru main like loop

Step 6 - slightly pull main line and leader opposite directions (not snug, but enough to intertwin like the photo)

Step 7 - Take the leader tag end now and feed it thru the middle of both leader loops now, pull all the leader thru and try not to bind or tangle up, get an extra hand if needed

Step 8 - now gently pull the leader and main line at the same time to bring in the connection

Step 9 - Your leader to main line connection should now look like this

Step 10 - Crimp on a swivel clip of your choice to the business end of your leader

Step 11 - now yer ready to go fishin!

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Question Wellcraft (oh and thanks for the pics looks good) why do you take the tag end of the line back through the loops again (your step 7) I know when use loop leaders for fly line I would just continue to pull ( step 6 ) until I get a nice looking knot (kinda looks like a square knot ) if I get a knot that looks like your finish I would back the loops up and pull again (sometimes it helps to squeeze the loops slightly) Does it affect the strength of the knot? As long as you make your loops large enough you can easily change out your leaders with fly, hook, swivel, weight still attached

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cause it's a loop to loop connection (leader onto main line)

Step 7 is where you make the double wrap of the spectra or braid onto the mono loop

Strength wise you need two wraps of the leaders spectra to wrap around the mono. The serving holds better without any slippage once tight. Once tight, the whole deal slips thru the rods guides with no hang ups (hence, wind on leader)

It's super fast and easy. with two closed loops this is the simplest.

I can pull out a wind on leader out of the gear bag and slap it on pronto
also vice versa, I can take off the leader same way if I need to switch up or down in the lb rating without cutting etc... This way isnt as permanent as a square knot, but will hold up to the lb rating when in use.

Plus that's how the Momoi and BHP illustrations recommend rigging the leader to main line! :p

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
thanks wellcraft, the wind must help the strength of the knot and probably does help against slippage since you are going from braid to mono, in my example I am using two strands of mono which slippage is not really a problem when pulled tight correctly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.